Failure modes of strain gauges

In summary: With respect to - Over temp - use a heater cable to warm the gauge slowly. With respect to - Over current - use a current limiting resistor.With respect to - Improper bonding - use a good quality bond.With respect to - Physical impact - use a gage that is designed for the task at hand.With respect to - Environmental wear (salt spray, corrosive environment etc...) - use a shield.With respect to - Improper gauge selection (while not a physical failure, it is a failure mode) - use a gauge with a known range of strains.
Bellis
I am trying to determine some failure modes of strain gauges and the means of accomplishing some of them. Things like loose leads, debonding, physical damage, thermal effects, doing things that cause saturation.

I am looking for ideas of what other failure modes are and ways to accomplish them, like how do i cause debonding, things like that, any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
One way to induce some of those failures (and even emulate the real world) would be to have a cyclic bending of the gauge through some angle, and take it to failure. Like, make a small test bed where you can mount a gauge and the wires, and strain relieve whatever you don't want to fail, and then have a little motor arrangement to cycle some bending. If you want the gauge material to fail first, be sure to strain relieve/support the wires, etc. If you want the wires to fail first, don't strain relieve them.

Kind of like a little shaker/bender table arrangement.

berkeman said:
One way to induce some of those failures (and even emulate the real world) would be to have a cyclic bending of the gauge through some angle, and take it to failure. Like, make a small test bed where you can mount a gauge and the wires, and strain relieve whatever you don't want to fail, and then have a little motor arrangement to cycle some bending. If you want the gauge material to fail first, be sure to strain relieve/support the wires, etc. If you want the wires to fail first, don't strain relieve them.

Kind of like a little shaker/bender table arrangement.

Ah, well I do in fact have the shaker table arrangement set up, I guess my question relates more to how to go about inducing failure and types of failure I might want to be away of.

Interesting -- I googled strain gauge failure mechanisms, and got lots of hits. Unfortunately, they were mainly on using strain gauges in studying the failure mechanisms of structures and materials (Doh!). I didn't try quoting the search string to try to get a better hit list, so you might try that.

I did see something interesting on one of the pages:

http://www.davidson.com.au/products/strain/mg/technology/technotes/pcindex.pdf

They talk about a failure mechanism where too high of a voltage and power were used with the gauge, causing thermal issues.

Great, I appreciate the advice

Strain gauges fail for the most common sense reasons.

- Over strain
- Over temp
- Over current
- Incorrect bonding
- Physical impact
- Environmental wear (salt spray, corrosive environment etc...)
- Improper gauge selection (while not a physical failure, it is a failure mode)

With respect to - Over strain - match the strain gauge with the expected strain. Know the elastic range, i.e. strain to yield strength, which is usually a design criterion, or a fraction thereof.

If one is straining to failure, that could be 10% to 60% depending on the metallurgical state of the material and any critical flaws that may be present.

1. What is a strain gauge?

A strain gauge is a sensor that is used to measure the amount of strain or deformation in an object. It is typically made of a thin, flexible material such as foil or wire, and is attached to the surface of the object being measured.

2. What are the main failure modes of strain gauges?

The main failure modes of strain gauges include fatigue failure, adhesive failure, and electrical failure. Fatigue failure occurs when the material of the strain gauge becomes permanently deformed over time due to repeated strain cycles. Adhesive failure happens when the strain gauge is not properly attached to the surface of the object, causing it to detach. Electrical failure can occur due to factors such as high voltage, excessive current, or extreme temperature.

3. How can fatigue failure be prevented in strain gauges?

To prevent fatigue failure in strain gauges, it is important to use high-quality materials that can withstand repeated strain cycles. Proper installation and maintenance of the strain gauge can also help prevent fatigue failure. Additionally, using strain-limiting devices or protective coatings can help reduce the strain on the gauge and prolong its lifespan.

4. What causes adhesive failure in strain gauges?

Adhesive failure in strain gauges can be caused by a variety of factors, such as improper surface preparation, poor quality adhesive, or inadequate curing time. It can also occur if the strain gauge is subjected to excessive strain or vibrations, which can cause it to detach from the surface of the object being measured.

5. Can strain gauges fail due to environmental factors?

Yes, strain gauges can fail due to environmental factors such as extreme temperature, humidity, or corrosive substances. These factors can cause the strain gauge material to degrade or the adhesive to weaken, leading to failure. It is important to consider the environment in which the strain gauge will be used and choose materials that can withstand these conditions.