Understanding the Minimum Thickness for Preventing Overturning in Concrete Dams

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Failure
In summary, the conversation is discussing the minimum thickness needed for a freestanding concrete dam to prevent overturning. The question also asks if atmospheric pressure needs to be taken into account. The participants also discuss the meaning of overturning and why the thickness is a variable. Eventually, they come to the conclusion that the thickness must be greater than a certain value in order to prevent overturning, with the final formula taking into account the density of water and concrete.
e(ho0n3
I'm having trouble understanding this question:

For a freestanding concrete dam of uniform thickness t and height h, what minimum thickness is needed to prevent overturning? Do you need to add in atmospheric pressure for this last part? Explain.

What do they mean by overturning exactly? And why would I need to find the thickness when I'm already given the thickness?

Physics news on Phys.org
On the face of it, this looks like a question about buckling strength, but I'm not too sure..

e(ho0n3 said:
What do they mean by overturning exactly?
I presume "overturn" means just what it sounds like it means: knock over, topple.

When full, the water exerts a force on the dam. Is it enough to topple the dam? Think of the dam as a solid block. (Consider torques.)
And why would I need to find the thickness when I'm already given the thickness?
The thickness is a variable.

An interesting problem.

OK. I found the force of the water on the dam and where it acts. What I then did was, I calculated the torque about the tipping edge (assumming the block is already in tipped state) and set this greater than zero. Solving for t, I obtained

[tex]t > \sqrt{h/3}[/tex]

Am I correct?

e(ho0n3 said:
[tex]t > \sqrt{h/3}[/tex]

Am I correct?
Don't you find it odd that your answer shows no dependence on the mass of the dam or the density of the water?

That and the units don't make any sense. Hmm...What to do?

OK. I made some dumb mistakes but now I have the answer, which is

[tex]t > \sqrt{\frac{\rho_w}{3\rho_c}}h[/tex]

where [itex]\rho_w[/itex] is the density of water and [itex]\rho_c[/itex] is the density of concrete.

Last edited:
Now you got it. :approve:

1. What is "Failure to Understand"?

"Failure to Understand" refers to the inability or difficulty in comprehending or interpreting information or concepts. It can occur in various situations, such as learning new material, communicating with others, or solving problems.

2. What causes "Failure to Understand"?

There are many factors that can contribute to "Failure to Understand," including lack of prior knowledge or experience, language barriers, cognitive or learning disabilities, and distractions. Additionally, the complexity or ambiguity of the information itself can also make it difficult to understand.

3. How does "Failure to Understand" affect learning and problem-solving?

When someone experiences "Failure to Understand," it can impede their ability to learn and process information effectively. It can also hinder problem-solving skills, as understanding the problem is a crucial step in finding a solution. This can lead to frustration and decreased performance in academic or work settings.

4. Can "Failure to Understand" be prevented?

There are various strategies that can help prevent or minimize "Failure to Understand." These include breaking down information into smaller, more manageable chunks, providing clear and concise instructions, using visual aids or demonstrations, and actively engaging in the learning process through discussions or practice exercises.

5. How can "Failure to Understand" be addressed or overcome?

If someone is experiencing "Failure to Understand," it is important to identify the root cause and address it accordingly. This may involve seeking additional support or accommodations, practicing active listening and note-taking techniques, and seeking clarification or asking questions when needed. With persistence and the right strategies, "Failure to Understand" can be overcome.