1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Failure to Understand

1. Aug 4, 2004 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding this question:

For a freestanding concrete dam of uniform thickness t and height h, what minimum thickness is needed to prevent overturning? Do you need to add in atmospheric pressure for this last part? Explain.

What do they mean by overturning exactly? And why would I need to find the thickness when I'm already given the thickness?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

On the face of it, this looks like a question about buckling strength, but I'm not too sure..

4. Aug 4, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I presume "overturn" means just what it sounds like it means: knock over, topple.

When full, the water exerts a force on the dam. Is it enough to topple the dam? Think of the dam as a solid block. (Consider torques.)
    The thickness is a variable.

An interesting problem.

5. Aug 6, 2004 #4
    OK. I found the force of the water on the dam and where it acts. What I then did was, I calculated the torque about the tipping edge (assumming the block is already in tipped state) and set this greater than zero. Solving for t, I obtained

[tex]t > \sqrt{h/3}[/tex]

Am I correct?

6. Aug 6, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Don't you find it odd that your answer shows no dependence on the mass of the dam or the density of the water?

7. Aug 7, 2004 #6
    That and the units don't make any sense. Hmm...What to do?

8. Aug 7, 2004 #7
    OK. I made some dumb mistakes but now I have the answer, which is

[tex]t > \sqrt{\frac{\rho_w}{3\rho_c}}h[/tex]

where [itex]\rho_w[/itex] is the density of water and [itex]\rho_c[/itex] is the density of concrete.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  9. Aug 7, 2004 #8

Doc Al

Now you got it. :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?