Fairly simple integral question.

• Thread starter bobbo7410
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a calculus problem that the person has had difficulty with due to not practicing it for a while. They have a picture of the problem and are seeking help and clarification on how to solve it. The conversation also includes a suggestion to use integration by parts and a question about how improper integrals are defined.
bobbo7410

Homework Statement

It should be fairly easy according to classmates, yet its definitely been a while since I've had calc.

Took a pic of the problem.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7281/0218092206ei3.jpg [Broken]
Sorry the image is a little dark, it says find the integral of the first one, by evaluating the integral of the second one. ?

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't really a homework assignment, I have notes scattered throughout. Figured I'd post it in this section anyway, I'm really just trying to remember how to do half this stuff.

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure which question you wanted help on.

Do you remember how improper integrals are defined?

Try integration by parts on the first question and see if you can find a general formula for the integral?

Thanks I'll definitely check it out.

Sorry the image was a little dark, its one question. It says find the integral of the first one, by evaluating the integral of the second one. ?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to calculate quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How is an integral different from a derivative?

An integral is the inverse operation of a derivative. While a derivative calculates the rate of change at a specific point on a curve, an integral calculates the total accumulated change over an interval.

3. Can you provide an example of a fairly simple integral?

One example of a fairly simple integral is the integral of x^2. The solution to this integral is (1/3)x^3 + C, where C is a constant.

4. What is the purpose of finding integrals?

Integrals have a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and other physical quantities, as well as to solve differential equations and determine the behavior of complex systems.

5. Are there any techniques to help solve integrals?

Yes, there are various techniques for solving integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These techniques can help simplify the integrand and make it easier to find the solution.