Parametrizing and Line integrals (of a line, parabola, curve.)

In summary, the author is struggling with integrating line integrals and is having trouble with parametrization. The first equation is easy to integrate, but the second and third equations are more difficult.
Breedlove

Homework Statement

In each part, evaluate the integral [tex]\int(3x+2y)dx+(2x-y)dy[/tex]
(A) The line segment from (0,0) to (1,1).
(b) The parabolic arc y=x^2
(c) The curve y=sin(pi(x)/2) from (0,0) to (1,1)
(D) The curve x=y^3 from (0,0) to (1,1).

Homework Equations

[tex]\int f(x,y,z)dz[/tex]=[tex]\int^{a}_{b}f(x(t),y(t),z(t))z'(t)dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I'm not very good with the latex thing, but basically, from my understanding, you just have to parametrize each equation and then integrate from 0 to 1 for all of them right? The book says I should be getting 3 for all parts, but I;m getting things like 4.5 for a and 17/6 for b.

For a, I said that x=t and y=t (I stink at parametrizing, is this right?) which gives an integral of 9t from 0 to 1 which integrates to 4.5.

For b, I said that x=t and y=t^2 (how does one parametrize any given equation? These basic steps have really been killing me, like, how does one figure out the parametric equations for a circle? Everywhere I looked it just looks like it's given. What if i wanted to parametrize an ellipse or something? I think I must have missed a big chunk of my calc sequence or something.) Anyway, i ended up with an integral of 5t+t^2 from 0 to 1, which gives 17/6 if I'm right.

Okay, secondly, I've tried the advanced searches and I swear I can never get the search thing to give me what I want, so I always end wasting 30 minutes writing up the whole question and stuff and then when i post it, it says something like "related posts" at the bottom which are pretty much exactly what would have helped me. I'm so exasperated! Please help! help of any kind!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I know how to that my "basically, from my understanding bit" is way off, this question is more about parametrizing than line integrals, i know how to do the line integral, i just don't know how to get it, I know that in part b i forgot about the y'(t)dy

Just start with the first one. There is nothing wrong with your parametrization. But I get integral 6t*dt. How do you get 9t*dt? x=t, y=t, it couldn't get much simpler than that??

Bah! Yeah I misunderstood my handwriting. I thought my two was a five. Okay. But for the second one I still get an integrand of 5t+t^2

y=t^2. dy=2t*dt. (2x-y)=2t-t^2. (2x-y)*dy=(2t-t^2)*2*t*dt. You should be integrating a cubic function of t, not a quadratic. Again, nothing wrong with the parametrization, but what's with the integral?

Last edited:
Finally! Excellent. So... how would I go about parametrizing the curve y=sin(pi(x)/2)? I'm thinking that if the parabola is just x=t and y=t^2, then maybe we can just say x=t in this case too?

Why not? That makes y(0)=0 and y(1)=1. Works for me. Right?

1. What is a parametrization?

A parametrization is a mathematical process of representing a curve, line, or surface in terms of one or more parameters, typically denoted by variables such as t or s. It allows us to describe the points on a given curve or surface using mathematical equations, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is evaluated along a curve or a line instead of a single variable. It takes into account the direction and length of the curve, unlike regular integrals which only consider the magnitude of a function. In other words, a line integral is a way to calculate the total value of a vector field along a given path.

3. Can a line integral be negative?

Yes, a line integral can be negative. This can happen when the vector field and the direction of the curve are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative product. Similarly, a line integral can also be positive if the vector field and the direction of the curve are in the same direction.

4. What is the significance of a line integral in physics?

In physics, line integrals are commonly used to calculate physical quantities such as work, flux, and potential energy. For example, a line integral can be used to calculate the work done by a force along a certain path, or the flux of a vector field through a surface.

5. Can a line integral be used to find the length of a curve?

Yes, a line integral can be used to find the length of a curve. This is known as the arc length integral, which is a special type of line integral that is used to calculate the length of a curve. It is defined as the integral of the magnitude of the derivative of the curve with respect to the parameter. By evaluating this integral, we can find the length of a curve in a given interval.