Solving a Falling Oscillator with the Lagrangian Method

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem from a textbook using an equation of motion. They are not sure which coordinate system to use and are looking for help. The student has come up with a solution that depends on a single coordinate, l_1.
tom777
Hello guys. This is not really a homework exercise, but I'm currently preparing for an
exam and this is a question I got from a textbook. I'm currently sort of stuck,
but here are the details.

Homework Statement

Link to a scan of the problem:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4593/question1y.png

Homework Equations

The problem is supposed to be solved by using the Lagrangian Method.
(Since it's from a "theoretical-mechanics"-book)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay. What I thought was that i have to choose a suitable accelerating coordinate system
and relate this coordinate system with an intertial frame of reference.
First one sees in the picture that:
l * q(t) = s(t) * l_1(t)
So if one finds an equation of motion for l_1(t) one is done.
Now the problem is I'm not sure which moving coordinate system to choose.
I could choose one with origin at B, which would mean that there's gravity but
only the spring-force acting on the mass m.
However I'm not quite sure how to tackle this problem in general and I'm a bit confused.

I'd be more than happy if you could help me!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tom777 said:
Okay. What I thought was that i have to choose a suitable accelerating coordinate system
and relate this coordinate system with an intertial frame of reference.

I'm not sure why you would think that. Instead, just look at a single inertial reference frame and compute the equations of motion from the Lagrangian. You should find that [tex]m\ddot{l_1}[/itex] not only has a spring term and a gravitational term, but also a [itex]kA\sin(\omega t)[/itex] term.

Hey. Thanks for the quick response.
Here are some thoughts:

I'm picking a cartesian coordiante axis y with origin at the initial position of the block B
pointing "downwords" - that is to say: in the direction the entire system is falling.
As a next step I'm picking l_1 as a generalized coordinate.
Then: y= l_1 + s . (*)
The zero-level of potential energy is at y=0.
Hence I obtain
V=-mgy+(1/2)*k*(l_1 - l)^2 (not 100% sure about the signs though ;-) )
Then I got T=(1/2)*m*(d/dt y)
Substituting (*) in the equation for T and V gives me a Lagrange-function that
only depends on l_1 . Then I set up the differential equation and
use the relation between l_1 and q given in my first posting to rewrite everything
in term of q.

What do you think of that approach? Any errors?
Again thanks in advance for your reply.
cu

1. What is the Lagrangian method used for?

The Lagrangian method is used to solve problems involving mechanical systems, such as oscillators, by using a mathematical approach that takes into account the system's energy and constraints.

2. How does the Lagrangian method differ from other methods of solving mechanical systems?

The Lagrangian method differs from other methods, such as Newton's laws of motion, by using generalized coordinates instead of specific forces to describe the system's motion. This allows for a more efficient and elegant mathematical approach.

3. What is a falling oscillator?

A falling oscillator is a physical system that experiences oscillatory motion as it falls under the influence of gravity. Examples of falling oscillators include a simple pendulum, a mass-spring system, or a swinging door.

4. What are the steps involved in solving a falling oscillator with the Lagrangian method?

The steps involved in solving a falling oscillator with the Lagrangian method include: 1) Identifying the generalized coordinates and the Lagrangian function for the system, 2) Applying the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the equations of motion, 3) Solving the resulting differential equations to determine the system's motion, and 4) Verifying the solution by checking for conservation of energy and other physical principles.

5. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian method to solve mechanical systems?

The Lagrangian method offers several advantages for solving mechanical systems, including the ability to easily incorporate constraints and conservation laws, the ability to handle complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom, and a more efficient and elegant mathematical approach compared to other methods.