Faraday disc, rate of change of the kinetic energy.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating metallic disk in a magnetic field and an external circuit. The goal is to calculate the rate of change of the disk's kinetic energy. The equations needed to solve the problem are provided, including the power dissipated in the resistor, the rotational kinetic energy of the disk, and the torque acting on the disk. The discussion also addresses the relationship between the electrical power dissipated in the resistor and the rotational kinetic energy of the disk, as well as the torque of the system due to the extra motion of charged particles. The conversation concludes by acknowledging the many factors that need to be considered in solving the problem and asking for guidance on where to start.
Silversonic
It is for my university course but I didn't find it worthy of the advanced physics section.

Homework Statement

A circular metallic disk of radius b rotates about an axis perpendicular to
its centre with an angular velocity ω in a constant magnetic field,
strength B, which lies in the same direction as the rotation axis. A potential difference is generated between the centre of the disc and its edge.

The disc is connected to an external circuit. Assume that the external circuit has resistance R and that a current I flows through it (and therefore through the disk). Calculate the rate of change of the disk’s kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

It gives me a hint to first calculate the electrical power dissipated in the resistor and the torque acting on the disk.

Power dissipated = R*I^2

Rotational Kinetic energy = 0.5*I*ω^2

Torque = Ia = rF (a is the angular acceleration, equal to dw/dt).

Force (due to magnetic field) on the current in the disc = BIb.

E.M.F produced within the disc = 0.5*ω*B*a^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very confused with many aspects to this question. Firstly how is the electrical power dissipated in the resistor even linked to the rotational kinetic energy of the disc?

Also. As is known, a current is induced in the Faraday disc and as this current is in a radial direction it experiences an extra force due to the magnetic field. This extra force is in such a direction as to oppose the angular motion. So how would I calculate the overall torque of the system due to this extra motion of the charged particles? I don't think it could simply be T = rF, would it not be the integral of rF with limis b and 0?

Next thing, the change in the rotational kinetic energy with time is going to be dE/dt.

This means

dE/dt = 0.5*I*a^2, as dw/dt = a, the angular acceleration.

But the only thing is F = BIb, surely this will be changing with time too. If the angular velocity of the disc decreases the amount of flux lines it cuts per second also decreases. This decreases the e.m.f produced and means there is a reduced current. So the current is also dependant on time.Ugh, there are so many factors to consider. Can anyone tell me where to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: Found the answer, just had to search a bit harder in my textbook.

Last edited:

1. What is a Faraday disc?

A Faraday disc is a type of electromagnetic generator that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It consists of a disc-shaped conductor rotating in a magnetic field, which induces an electric current in the disc.

2. How does a Faraday disc work?

When the disc rotates, the magnetic field lines cut across the disc, causing the electrons in the disc to move. This movement of electrons creates an electric current, which can be harnessed as electrical energy.

3. What is the rate of change of kinetic energy in a Faraday disc?

The rate of change of kinetic energy in a Faraday disc refers to how quickly the disc is converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. This rate is determined by the speed of the disc's rotation and the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How is the rate of change of kinetic energy calculated in a Faraday disc?

The rate of change of kinetic energy in a Faraday disc can be calculated using the formula: Rate of change of kinetic energy = 0.5 x Mass x (Velocity)^2 x (Change in velocity over time).

5. What factors affect the rate of change of kinetic energy in a Faraday disc?

The rate of change of kinetic energy in a Faraday disc is affected by the speed of rotation, the strength of the magnetic field, and the mass of the disc. Additionally, the angle between the magnetic field and the disc's rotation axis can also impact the rate of change of kinetic energy.