What is the induced emf in a coil in a changing magnetic field?

In summary: The problem specifies that it is a uniform magnetic field. In that case, if you use cos(0) you get the emf induced as the field is perpendicular to the plane of the coil. If you use cos(60) you get the component of the field in the direction perpendicular to the plane of the coil. In that case you are considering only a part of the field and not the whole of it. So, you should use cos(0) and then the emf will be the maximum. I hope i've been clear and not confused u the more. I guess i've made myself clear. I wish u all the best for ur test.
cse63146

Homework Statement

A 100-turn, 2.0-cm-diameter coil is at rest in a horizontal plane. A uniform magnetic field away from vertical increases from 0.50 T to 1.50 T in 0.60 s. What is the induced emf (in mV) in the coil?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Phi_m = ABcos\vartheta[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{d \Phi}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]E = \frac{d \Phi}{dt} = \frac{d (ABcos\vartheta)}{dt} = - \pi r^2 \frac{dB}{dt}sin\vartheta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dB}{dt} = \frac{1}{.6} = 1.67 T[/tex]

I can "ignore" the negative sign because I just need the absolute value, and the derivative of cos = -sin

*I forgot the number ot turns in the previous equation, but I added them in the next one*

[tex]N \pi r^2 \frac{dB}{dt}sin\vartheta = (100) \pi 0.1^2 (1.67) sin60 = 45mV[/tex]

Did I make any mistakes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct except for the following point. (It doesn't affect your answer.)

The minus sign you ignore should cancel out anyway since:

[tex]E=-\frac{d\Phi}{dt}[/tex]

You forgot the minus sign that comes from Lenz's Law.

in my textbook, Farady's Law is denoted in an absolute value.

apperantly I made a calculation error. I get 4.5 V = 4.5*10^-3 mV.

EDIT: I tried 45 and 4.5*10^-3, and it says I got it wrong. Any ideas?

I also get 4.5 V when I crunch the numbers. But 4.5V is 4500mV, not .0045mV.

I tried 4500 mV, but it still says it's wrong.

OK I think I see the problem. Your radius is.01m not .1m. Does this fix the problem?

Firstly, i don't understand why you've taken the angle as [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]. Since the field is vertical and the coil is in the horizontal plane, the angle is [itex]0[/itex] i.e. the area vector and the field lines are parallel. Secondly, the angle does not change with time. Hence, the term [itex]\cos(\theta)[/itex] is constant and ur mistake was taking it's derivative w.r.t time and changing it to [itex]\sin(\theta)[/itex]. My answer is coming out to be: 52.4645 mV [http://tinyurl.com/yv9w2k]

rohanprabhu said:
Firstly, i don't understand why you've taken the angle as [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]. Since the field is vertical and the coil is in the horizontal plane, the angle is [itex]0[/itex] i.e. the area vector and the field lines are parallel. Secondly, the angle does not change with time. Hence, the term [itex]\cos(\theta)[/itex] is constant and ur mistake was taking it's derivative w.r.t time and changing it to [itex]\sin(\theta)[/itex]. My answer is coming out to be: 52.4645 mV [http://tinyurl.com/yv9w2k]

I'm an idiot. Should have realized that.

but why did you use 0.02 instead of 0.01 since it requires the radius and not the diameter.

cse63146 said:
I'm an idiot. Should have realized that.

but why did you use 0.02 instead of 0.01 since it requires the radius and not the diameter.

do note that i have taken the no. of turns as '25' and not '100' i.e. i used [tex]A = \frac{\pi d^2}{4}[/tex] rather than [itex]A = \pi r^2[/itex]

shouldnt it be 25*pi*((0.02)^2)*(1.67)*cos60 = 26.23mV?

Last edited:
rohanprabhu said:

Hmm. Must have misread the problem. I was under the assumption that the OP just forgot to post the angle. in the problem. I figured that his value of 60 was correct. Sorry for the confusion.

G01 said:
Hmm. Must have misread the problem. I was under the assumption that the OP just forgot to post the angle. in the problem. I figured that his value of 60 was correct. Sorry for the confusion.

My idioticy has no bounds. The 30 degrees is from a different problem I'm working on and got those 2 mixed up.

cse63146 said:
My idioticy has no bounds

Don't be so hard on yourself. It happens to everyone at some point or another. :smile:

cse63146 said:
shouldnt it be 25*pi*((0.02)^2)*(1.67)*cos60?

does the question say so? If it does.. then yes. Because in the problem you presented, no mention of angle is given. The question presents that the plane of the coil and the field lines of the magnetic field are perpendicular. So, i took the angle to be 0.

Yes, but I already did 5/6 tries on the answer, and I have 1 more before I get a 0 on this question.

Here's the full question:

A 100-turn, 2.0-cm-diameter coil is at rest in a horizontal plane. A uniform magnetic field 60 degrees away from vertical increases from 0.50 T to 1.50 T in 0.60 s.

So would this be correct 25*pi*((0.02)^2)*(1.67)*cos60 = 26.23mV?

well.. if that is the full question then this should be the right answer. Is this what your textbook/assignment/whatever says?

this is what it says:

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/2509/37516342im5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i was actually asking what the textbook/assignment had to say about the 'answer'.. i didn't realize it then that this was a test you were giving. Anyways, all things considered, i think you should go with 23.24 or whatever the answer was that u got in ur previous post wherein you used cos(60).

1. What is Faraday's Law Problem?

Faraday's Law Problem refers to a physics problem that involves the application of Faraday's Law of Induction. This law states that when there is a change in the magnetic field through a conductor, an electromotive force (EMF) is induced in the conductor, which in turn creates an electric current.

2. What is the formula for Faraday's Law?

The formula for Faraday's Law is EMF = -N x dΦ/dt, where EMF is the induced electromotive force, N is the number of turns in the conductor, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor.

3. How is Faraday's Law applied in real-life situations?

Faraday's Law has many practical applications, such as in generators and transformers. Generators use Faraday's Law to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, while transformers use it to step up or step down the voltage in a circuit.

4. What are some common challenges when solving Faraday's Law Problems?

Some common challenges when solving Faraday's Law Problems include understanding the concept of magnetic flux and how it relates to the change in magnetic field, determining the direction of the induced current, and accounting for any external factors that may affect the problem.

5. How can one improve their understanding of Faraday's Law and its applications?

To improve understanding of Faraday's Law, one can practice solving various problems and working through different scenarios. It can also be helpful to review the concept of magnetic flux and understand how it relates to Faraday's Law. Additionally, studying real-life applications of the law can provide a better understanding of its practical uses.