Magnetic Flux of a Wire Sliding on L-Shaped Rail

In summary, a conducting wire with a constant speed of 1 m/s slides on a bent L-shaped metallic rail at a 45-degree angle. A perpendicular magnetic field of 0.2 T acts in the X direction. The magnetic flux as a function of time is being discussed, and it is explained why the wire cannot be said to move in the positive X and Y directions according to specific equations. It is clarified that the points on the wire do not always remain on the X and Y axes, and therefore the analysis is incorrect.
assaftolko
A conducting wire slides with constant speed of 1 m/s on a bent L shaped metalic rail. The angke between the wire and the rail is 45 deg and it remains constant during the whole motion of the wire. Perpendicular to the plane of the rail acts a magnetic field B=0.2 T in the X direction (Into the paper). At the beginning of the wire's motion - the point A, which is at the center of the wire, is 1m away from point C.

What's the magnetic flux as function of time?

Why can't I say that the wire moves in the positive x direction (to the right) according to:
x(t)=x0+vo,x*t, and the wire moves in the positive y direction (upwards) according to:
y(t)=y0+vo,y*t

where x0=y0= AC/sin45 and vo,x=vcos45, vo,y=vsin45?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
assaftolko said:
A conducting wire slides with constant speed of 1 m/s on a bent L shaped metalic rail. The angke between the wire and the rail is 45 deg and it remains constant during the whole motion of the wire. Perpendicular to the plane of the rail acts a magnetic field B=0.2 T in the X direction (Into the paper). At the beginning of the wire's motion - the point A, which is at the center of the wire, is 1m away from point C.

What's the magnetic flux as function of time?

Why can't I say that the wire moves in the positive x direction (to the right) according to:
x(t)=x0+vo,x*t, and the wire moves in the positive y direction (upwards) according to:
y(t)=y0+vo,y*t

where x0=y0= AC/sin45 and vo,x=vcos45, vo,y=vsin45?

If you apply the equations you state in your post to, let's say, the centre of sliding wire, you would be calculating the coordinates or the distance moved in the two directions, not the "actual" distance moved.

Try to apply it on the centre of wire, it will become obvious.

I don't get why this isn't the actual distance.. And how then can i find this actual distance moved in the two direction?

assaftolko said:
I don't get why this isn't the actual distance.. And how then can i find this actual distance moved in the two direction?

Did you apply your equations to the centre of wire?

By actual distance, I meant the distance traveled by centre along the given direction of velocity. :redface:

Pranav-Arora said:
Did you apply your equations to the centre of wire?

By actual distance, I meant the distance traveled by centre along the given direction of velocity. :redface:

I don't understand how what you are saying explains why I can't do the analysis I've done. Maybe I didn't explain well enough what I tried to do here:
I said that the two points on the wire that, for every moment, lay on the x and y axis, and so - make up the two legs of the right triangle (one leg lays on the x-axis from the "origin" C to the right lower "end" of the wire at each moment, and the other leg lays on the y-axis from C to the left upward "end" of the wire at each moment. I write "end" because these 2 points on the wire aren't actually at its two ends, but they are "ends" in the sense that they lie on the 2 axis) move according to constant velocity kinematics, where x0 and y0 are the positions of these two points at t=0, which means that with respect to the origin C we get x0=y0=AC/sin45 or AC/cos 45 it doesn't matter of course... AC is of course 1 m since we deal with t=0.

Hence, I get that X(t), which represents the position of the right lower point of the wire on the x-axis at each moment (and hence - the length of this leg of the triangle at every moment), is: x(t) = AC/sin45 + vcos45*t, where vcos45 is the velocity in the x direction.
y(t), which represents the position of the left upper point of the wire on the y-axis at each moment (and hence - the length of this leg of the traingle at every moment), is:
y(t) = AC/sin45 +vsin45*t, where vsin45 is the velocity in the y direction.

I know that I'm mistaken, I just don't get why - how could I know up front this analysis is wrong?

Last edited:
assaftolko said:
I said that the two points on the wire that, for every moment, lay on the x and y axis, and so - make up the two legs of the right triangle (one leg lays on the x-axis from the "origin" C to the right lower "end" of the wire at each moment, and the other leg lays on the y-axis from C to the left upward "end" of the wire at each moment. I write "end" because these 2 points on the wire aren't actually at its two ends, but they are "ends" in the sense that they lie on the 2 axis) move according to constant velocity kinematics, where x0 and y0 are the positions of these two points at t=0, which means that with respect to the origin C we get x0=y0=AC/sin45 or AC/cos 45 it doesn't matter of course... AC is of course 1 m since we deal with t=0.

Those two points do not always remain on the x and y axes. The point on the x-axis at t=0 does not remain on x-axis after some time. It now moves in the xy plane, not on the x-axis.

Pranav-Arora said:
Those two points do not always remain on the x and y axes. The point on the x-axis at t=0 does not remain on x-axis after some time. It now moves in the xy plane, not on the x-axis.

Yep you're right... thanks man!

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux related to a wire sliding on an L-shaped rail?

When a wire slides on an L-shaped rail, it creates a changing magnetic field due to the movement of electrons in the wire. This changing magnetic field induces an electric field, which in turn creates a magnetic flux through the area bounded by the wire and the rail.

3. What factors affect the magnetic flux of a wire sliding on an L-shaped rail?

The magnetic flux of a wire sliding on an L-shaped rail is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the wire is moving, and the length of the wire and the rail. Additionally, the orientation of the wire and the rail relative to each other also play a role in determining the magnetic flux.

4. How is the direction of magnetic flux determined in this scenario?

The direction of magnetic flux is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current in the wire, the fingers will curl in the direction of the induced magnetic field. The direction of the magnetic flux is perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

5. How can the magnetic flux of a wire sliding on an L-shaped rail be increased?

The magnetic flux of a wire sliding on an L-shaped rail can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, increasing the speed of the wire, increasing the length of the wire and the rail, or changing the orientation of the wire and the rail to be more perpendicular to each other.