Can Streamlining Algebraic Manipulations Accelerate Factoring Techniques?

• Thread starter OrbitalPower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of factoring expressions with inverse powers. It is explained that it is not necessary to put things into quotients first and that examiners may deduct marks for doing so. Instead, it is recommended to factor out the term with a negative power and then find a way to make the other term have a positive power. This can be done by adding 1 to the exponent.
OrbitalPower

Homework Statement

[tex]t[\frac{1}{2} (4- t)^\frac{-1}{2}(-1)] + (4 - t)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

The way I'd do it is

[tex]\frac{-t}{2(4-t)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\sqrt{4-t}}{1}}[/tex]

Get it over a common denominator

[tex]\frac{-t+\sqrt{4-t}*2\sqrt{4-t}}{2(4-t)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

simplify:

[tex]\frac{-t + 2(4-t)}{2(4-t)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

=

[tex]\frac{8-3t}{2(4-t)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

The way I see books do it:

=

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(4-t)^\frac{-1}{2}[-t+ 2(4-t)][/tex]

=

[tex]\frac{8-3t}{2(4-t)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

What exactly is he sending through here? How does he know what to pull out in the second step? Is he mostly just skipping steps or is there a maneuver I'm missing here? I think I see the relationship between my third step (common denominator) and his second step, but I wouldn't know how to get that quickly without doing the algebra.

Here's another example of what I'm talking about:

x^2 * [ (1/2) * (1-x^2)^(-1/2) * (-2x)] + (1 - x^2)^(1/2) * (2x) 1

=

-x^3(1-x^2)^(-1/2) + 2x(1 - x^2)^(1/2) 2

=

x(1 - x^2)^(-1/2) * [-x^2(1) + 2(1 - x^2)] 3

=

x * (2 - 3x^2)/ (sqrt(1 - x^2)) 4

Again, same questions. This actually looks confusing to me. What's going on at steps 2 and 3?

How did he know how to separate them like that without writing over a common factor. I've seen it done like this in other places, and it looks to me as if steps are being skipped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi OrbitalPower! :smile:

I'm sorry, but that is the correct way of factoring, and you're just going to have to get used to it, both reading it and doing it.

It is not necessary to put things into quotients first, and examiners will probably deduct marks if you do.

I expect you can see immediately that [tex]x^2 y^3 x^3\,=\,x^5 y^3[/tex], because you can just move the x through the y, and combine all the x's?

Well, it's the same if it's an inverse power: [tex]x^2 y^3 x^{-3}\,=\,x^{-1} y^3[/tex], or [tex]x^{1/2} y^3 x^{-3/2}\,=\,x^{-1} y^3[/tex].

You just move the x through the y, and writing over a common factor is totally unnecessary. :smile:

Thanks for the help. I definitely see what you're saying and I do that all the time during derivatives and so on.

I still can't figure out what's going on, though.

For example, the first one:

[tex]t[\frac{1}{2} (4- t)^\frac{-1}{2}(-1)] + (4 - t)^\frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

Assuming I get (4-t)^(-1/2) + (4-t)^(1/2) together somehow by pulling out the 1/2, and negative one, that's adding the two terms, and the exponents are different. So I don't see the process at all. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

What exactly are you taking out here to set it up like that.

OrbitalPower said:

Assuming I get (4-t)^(-1/2) + (4-t)^(1/2) together somehow by pulling out the 1/2, and negative one, that's adding the two terms, and the exponents are different. So I don't see the process at all.

Yes, you're right, of course - the exponents are different - but all that means is that you can't add the two terms.

However, you can factor the second one in your head, and then add them! :smile:

It's the same as, for example, [tex]e^x\,+\,e^{-x}\,=\,e^{-x}(e^{2x}\,+\,1)\,.[/tex]

You need to be happy with doing this! :smile:

You want to factorise it as much as possible.. taking out the term with a negative power is normally since it means the other term can then have a positive power. 1/2(4-t)^-1/2 is a common factor in that you can multiply by something 'simple' to get the second term. You just need to work out what that is, to get positive power of a half you need to add on 1.. so the second term ends up as 2(4-t). Hope that helps.

1. How does the faster way of factoring work?

The faster way of factoring is a method that uses mathematical algorithms to quickly find the prime factors of a given number. This is achieved by using a combination of division, multiplication, and other mathematical operations to break down the number into its prime factors.

2. Is the faster way of factoring more accurate than traditional methods?

Yes, the faster way of factoring is more accurate than traditional methods as it relies on proven mathematical algorithms and does not involve any guesswork or trial and error. This results in a more precise and efficient factorization process.

3. Can the faster way of factoring be used for any number?

Yes, the faster way of factoring can be used for any number, regardless of its size or complexity. It is designed to work for all types of numbers, including large integers, composite numbers, and even complex numbers.

4. How much time does the faster way of factoring save compared to traditional methods?

The amount of time saved by the faster way of factoring varies depending on the size and complexity of the number being factored. However, in general, it can save a significant amount of time, ranging from a few minutes to hours or even days.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using the faster way of factoring?

One potential drawback of the faster way of factoring is that it requires a certain level of mathematical knowledge and understanding to use effectively. It may also require the use of specialized software or tools, which may not be readily available to everyone. Additionally, the faster way of factoring may not always be the most efficient method for factoring certain types of numbers.