Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,156
"We cry for the ones who we love and we make those people cry who love us the most"

Unknown

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,157
FtlIsAwesome said:
This is one I came up with. Does it make sense?

"If something is over your head, reach up and grab it."

Works for me, but I like Fizix's version too... .:biggrin:

Best Dark Knight quotes:

The Joker BTDK said:
Don't talk like one of them. You're not! Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak, like me! They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out, like a leper! You see, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve.

The Joker BTDK said:
I just did what I do best. I took your little plan and I turned it on itself. Look what I did to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets. Hmmm? You know... You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan." But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds!

and the best...

BTDK said:
Alfred Pennyworth: A long time ago, I was in Burma, my friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest north of Rangoon by a bandit. So we went looking for the stones. But in six months, we never found anyone who traded with him. One day I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.
Bruce Wayne: Then why steal them?
Alfred Pennyworth: Because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren’t looking for anything logical, like money. They can’t be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

...And that's why we have to kill Ghaddafi! :wink:

• #1,158
The Merneptah Stele said:
"The Canaan has been plundered into every sort of woe: Ashkelon has been captured;
Gezer has been captured;
Yano'am is made nonexistent.
Israel is laid waste and his seed is not.
Khor is become a widow for Egypt..."

Note, do not piss off Pharoah Merneptah... or at least, not his scribes.

USAF said:
"Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, because I'm at 80,000 feet and climbing."

Frank Herbert said:
Pain is a function of nerves.
Pain comes as light comes to the eyes.
Effort comes from the muscles, not from nerves.

• #1,159
If something is over your head, reach up and grab it.
Because you're in boat that's about go down a waterfall.

• #1,160
FtlIsAwesome said:
If something is over your head, reach up and grab it.
Because you're in boat that's about go down a waterfall.

Then why would I want to get out? Most intense ride ever!

• #1,161
jambaugh said:
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."- Rat (Wind in the Willows)

I have that T-shirt. :smile:

And your signature;
me said:
Wavefunctions collapse, particles don't.

very much reminds me of

mkobanner.jpg

a previous post, I once made, in a far away science forum.

• #1,162
"Non sum qaulis eram, non sum qualis videor."

• #1,163
I have a PhD in physics. I am an authority. - Vanadium 50

• #1,164
"Behind every great comedy there is a greater tragedy"

Unknown

Last edited:
  • #1,165
"Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion"

Maynard James Keenan

• #1,166
fillipeano said:
"Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion"

Maynard James Keenan

Now that is a man to quote.

• #1,167
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." (Hunter S. Thompson)

• #1,168
The best quote from the dark knight

"WHY SO SERIOUS"

• #1,169
"Hurry up you Hoosier bastard! I could hang a dozen men while you're fooling around" (Karl Panzram to his Hangman before execution)

• #1,170
nismaratwork said:
"Hurry up you Hoosier bastard! I could hang a dozen men while you're fooling around" (Karl Panzram to his Hangman before execution)

Hanging him was a really easy death for him they should have burned him alive

• #1,171
FizixFreak said:
Hanging him was a really easy death for him they should have burned him alive

Meh, dead is dead... he was just a guy who needed to die to make the world a safer place. No need to torture anyone however, they'll still be dead, but you're left with the scars from tormenting another human.

• #1,172
nismaratwork said:
Meh, dead is dead... he was just a guy who needed to die to make the world a safer place. No need to torture anyone however, they'll still be dead, but you're left with the scars from tormenting another human.

“ In my lifetime I have murdered 21 human beings, I have committed thousands of burglaries, robberies, larcenies, arsons and, last but not least, I have committed sodomy on more than 1,000 male human beings. For all these things I am not in the least bit sorry. ”

You call that human??

• #1,173
FizixFreak said:
“ In my lifetime I have murdered 21 human beings, I have committed thousands of burglaries, robberies, larcenies, arsons and, last but not least, I have committed sodomy on more than 1,000 male human beings. For all these things I am not in the least bit sorry. ”

You call that human??

Maybe not, but the person who'd have to burn him would be. I don't feel a need to hurt people or see them hurt, but someone like that does need to be killed or incarcerated for life (preferably the former in this case). So, I don't particularly feel for a man who couldn't feel for others, but I don't think we need to sink to his level. Hanging is good enough, and if you believe in god he'll suffer, and if not... dead is dead.

Only the living have to bear the consequences of how they kill someone.

• #1,174
nismaratwork said:
Maybe not, but the person who'd have to burn him would be. I don't feel a need to hurt people or see them hurt, but someone like that does need to be killed or incarcerated for life (preferably the former in this case). So, I don't particularly feel for a man who couldn't feel for others, but I don't think we need to sink to his level. Hanging is good enough, and if you believe in god he'll suffer, and if not... dead is dead.

Only the living have to bear the consequences of how they kill someone.

The idea is not just to eliminate such human beings but also to teach others a lesson these type of people don't have anything to live for so if they know they will only be hanged for all their actions they will continue to massacar other humans but such punishment will set an example for other "people" like this

"We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow."
— Ted Bundy

You see my point?

• #1,175
This is getting off-topic... let's get back to Favorite Quotes.

Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater. - Albert Einstein

• #1,176
FizixFreak said:
The idea is not just to eliminate such human beings but also to teach others a lesson these type of people don't have anything to live for so if they know they will only be hanged for all their actions they will continue to massacar other humans but such punishment will set an example for other "people" like this

"We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow."
— Ted Bundy

You see my point?

I do, but mine is that we can learn that lesson without making their deaths horrific. These are not people who are capable of learning such a lesson, they're just a statisical group that needs to be caught and removed as soon as possible at every turn. How that's accomplished is less important that it IS important; and remember, who wants to set a man on fire? The condemned is dead, gone, or subject to divine judgement... the living are left with a burning man... quite a terrible sight and smell.

The example I want to set is not that we can be as cruel as a monster without a conscience, just that we can't tolerate it. A quick death is still death, and that's all that matters.

a repeat:
"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes also into you." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

• #1,177
Off topic sounds familiar doesn't it Nismar:rolleyes:

"if you can't explain a concept to a bar maid or a six year old you don't know it your self"

Albert Einstine

• #1,178
Why is it that nobody understands me and everybody likes me?

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is.

Einstein

• #1,179
here's a big list from my side

Oh, he seems like an okay person, except for being a little strange in some ways. All day he sits at his desk and scribbles, scribbles, scribbles. Then, at the end of the day, he takes the sheets of paper he's scribbled on, scrunches them all up, and throws them in the trash can. --J. von Neumann's housekeeper, describing her employer.

"The art of doing mathematics is finding that special case that contains all the germs of generality." -- David Hilbert

A friend who I won't name at the moment once told me this, paraphrased: An excellent problem-solver might not always be a great mathematician, while a bad problem-solver can still be an okay mathematician. On the other hand, a good Grothendieck is a great mathematician, while a bad Grothendieck is really terrible!

The question you raise, "how can such a formulation lead to computations?" doesn't bother me in the least! Throughout my whole life as a mathematician, the possibility of making explicit, elegant computations has always come out by itself, as a byproduct of a thorough conceptual understanding of what was going on. Thus I never bothered about whether what would come out would be suitable for this or that, but just tried to understand - and it always turned out that understanding was all that mattered." - Grothendieck

The attitude adopted in this book is that while we expect to get numbers out of the machine, we also expect to take action based on them, and, therefore we need to understand thoroughly what numbers may, or may not, mean. To cite the author's favorite motto,

“The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers,” although some people claim,

“The purpose of computing numbers is not yet in sight.”

There is an innate risk in computing because “to compute is to sample, and one then enters the domain of statistics with all its uncertainties.”

"A mathematician is a person who can find analogies between theorems; a better mathematician is one who can see analogies between proofs and the best mathematician can notice analogies between theories. One can imagine that the ultimate mathematician is one who can see analogies between analogies."

--Stefan Banach

"Good mathematicians see analogies between theorems or theories. The very best ones see analogies between analogies."

--Stanislaw M. Ulam quoting Stefan Banach

• #1,180
"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures." - Ash, Army of Darkness

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

"Ok you primitive screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The 12-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel... and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart! You got that?!" - Ash, Army of Darkness

"if u want to learn how to review u should there should be a lawy that you need to read n rite real good." (Gamespot Poster)

• #1,181
nismaratwork said:
I do, but mine is that we can learn that lesson without making their deaths horrific. These are not people who are capable of learning such a lesson, they're just a statisical group that needs to be caught and removed as soon as possible at every turn. How that's accomplished is less important that it IS important; and remember, who wants to set a man on fire? The condemned is dead, gone, or subject to divine judgement... the living are left with a burning man... quite a terrible sight and smell.

The example I want to set is not that we can be as cruel as a monster without a conscience, just that we can't tolerate it. A quick death is still death, and that's all that matters.

a repeat:
"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes also into you." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

These serial killers think just like us they are physically humans so the fear of execution can keep them from doing such things but let's not strech this i would love to talk to you about this subject but this thread is too good to be locked if you know what i mean:wink:

so...,

"If you make an a** out of yourself there will always be some one to ride you"

Bruce lee

Last edited:
  • #1,182
ooops! i thought in this particular sentence a** meant a donkey sorry about that

• #1,183
"It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice..."
-Ron Burgundy

• #1,184
"The problem with real life is that there is no danger music"

Jim Carry from "the cable guy"

• #1,185
schonovic said:
do you mean that a heavy mass close to the speed of light will not collapse into a black hole even if it is massive as a black hole?
This one's kind of funny.

• #1,186
FizixFreak said:
"The problem with real life is that there is no danger music"

Jim Carry from "the cable guy"

Awful awful movie. Angry movie.

• #1,187
DaveC426913 said:
Awful awful movie. Angry movie.

Well i liked it and how is it a angry movie?

• #1,188
FizixFreak said:
Well i liked it and how is it a angry movie?

Don't forget Date Movie.

Would you like some hummis? :yuck:

That became such a bad inside joke between me and some friends after watching that.

• #1,189
Nah, best hummus quote is from Charlie Sheen's amphetamine psychosis:

"Now that I have your lazy <BLEEP> attention, world. Sit back and rejoice. For the Malibu Messiah, the Condor of Calabasas, the <BLEEP> warlock of your jealous face sits before you. Undigested hummus trading real estate for this fire dance."

Yeah, he's totally fine. :rofl:

• #1,190
Baghavad Gita via Oppenheimer said:
“If the radiance of a thousand suns
were to burst into the sky
that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One-
And I am become Death, the shatterer of worlds.

Chilling.