Flagpole Height Calculation | FE Trig Problem 14

• Thread starter ratman720
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the problem is on pg. 70/71 of the .pdf which I have linked below. The answer in the book is found using the law of signs. Noting that the answer from the book is closer, I am curious if this is simply an issue with rounding, or whether there is a distinct reason why tangents can't be used for this.
ratman720
Im in the process of reviewing for my FE and found an online PDF of the older Lindeburg book while I wait for the new one. While running through the trig section review problems, I came to problem 14. Which is summarized as follows:

looking at the top of a flagpole you notice the angle of measurement is 37° 11', You move away 17m and the new angle to the top of the flag pole is 25°43'. How high is the flagpole.

The problem is on pg 70/71 of the .pdf which I have linked below.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/113765067/FE-Review-Manual-Lindeburg-2010 .

I chose to solve this using tangents. Ie x*tan(37°11')=(x+17)*tan(25°43'). its fairly simple rearrange the equation and solve. I come to a height of ~29.56 The answer in the book is found using the law of signs. and comes to 22.43. Of the available options both of our answers are closest to (B) at 22. Noting that the answer from the book is closer, I am curious if this is simply an issue with rounding, or whether there is a distinct reason why tangents can't be used for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to the problem is the height of the flagpole 'h', which is not the same as the value of 'x'.

And no, the difference between 29.56 and 22.43 could not be the result of rounding, even if you had correctly solved for the height of the flagpole.

BTW, it's the 'Law of Sines' for this problem. There is a different 'Law of Signs' used for finding out how many real roots a polynomial might have.

Using tangents I get ~22m for the height of the polel

Check your algebra.

You had two equations to solve,

[tex]\tan{(37^o11')}=\frac{h}{x}[/tex]

[tex]\tan{(25^o43')}=\frac{h}{x+17}[/tex]

which have two unknowns, hence it's obviously possible to find the value (or in some cases, possibly multiple values or no values) of x and h that satisfies the above equations. You've found the value of x, and now you just need to plug that x value back into either of the equations to find h.

Or alternatively, skip calculating x altogether by rearranging each equation to make x the subject, and then equate them

[tex]x=\frac{h}{\tan{(37^o11')}}[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{h}{\tan{(25^o43')}}-17[/tex]

Ya I completely forgot to convert my solution for x over to h. Thanks.

1. How do you calculate the height of a flagpole using trigonometry?

To calculate the height of a flagpole using trigonometry, you will need to measure the distance from the base of the flagpole to a point where its top is visible, as well as the angle of elevation from that point to the top of the flagpole. You can then use the tangent function to find the height of the flagpole.

2. What is the purpose of calculating flagpole height using trigonometry?

Calculating flagpole height using trigonometry is important for engineers, architects, and other professionals who need accurate measurements for building and construction projects. It can also be used for practical purposes, such as determining the height of a tree or building.

3. What is the formula for calculating the height of a flagpole using trigonometry?

The formula for calculating the height of a flagpole using trigonometry is: height = distance * tan(angle of elevation).

4. Can I use any angle of elevation to calculate the height of a flagpole?

No, the angle of elevation must be measured from a specific point where the top of the flagpole is visible. This point should be at ground level and directly in line with the base of the flagpole.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating flagpole height?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating flagpole height, such as using a measuring tape and a plumb line or using a laser rangefinder. However, using trigonometry is often the most accurate and efficient method.