1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final speed of a rotating spaceship!

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Lets imagine that in the movie 2010. The Discovery is rotating then they find it. Every time the ship reaches a speed in the circular motion of 24000 km/h the engine gives a burst of energy. Which amounts to 20 kN. The mass of the Discovery is 30.000 kg. The time from the engine gives a burst amounted to the above size to the ships engine going to sleep is 3 minutes.
    How do I calculate the extra speed v_final which is achieved by the engine burst after the three minutes. Necletecting all other forces?

Is there a specific formula?

According to my book. the answer is suppsed to be 24400 km/h.

I have to tried to the formula

[tex] F = 1/2 \cdot m v_f^2 - 1/2 \cdot m v_i^2 [/tex]

But using that formula I arrive at v_final = v_initial.

What am I doing wrong?

Sincerely
    Susanne

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Your scenario has the information: acceleration force (20 kN), mass (30 ton) and time (180 seconds); and you want to calculate the resulting change of speed. A way forward could be to figure out how force and mass relates to acceleration and how (constant) acceleration relates to change in speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook