Final speed of rocket in space

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications of the Pegasus-3 rocket, including its gross and empty mass, thrust, specific impulse, and dimensions. The rocket equation is mentioned as a means to calculate the final speed of a rocket, but it is noted that drag and gravity losses are not taken into account. The conversation also discusses the possibility of using the third stage of the Pegasus rocket on the Rutan VSS Enterprise spaceship, and the limitations and challenges of achieving this.
Vitall
We got rocket 200km above see level. Horizontal speed is zero. So, it eventually fell on Earth. We will lunch rocket horizontally. What the final speed it will reach?

Pegasus-3 Gross Mass: 985 kg. Empty Mass: 203 kg. Thrust (vac): 3,525 kgf. Isp: 293 sec. Burn time: 65 sec. Propellants: Solid Isp(sl): 240 sec. Diameter: 1.0 m. Span: 1.0 m. Length: 2.1 m. Country: USA.

Should be enough data. If you provide an equation, how you figure out speed, it will be greatly appreciated(so I can calculate speed for different types of rockets). Sorry, not a rocket scientist (tried google, but felt). Excuse my English.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Vitall, welcome to PF!

The ideal rocket equation will give you the results without taking drag or gravity losses into account.

[tex]V_f=I_{sp}*g_0*ln(\frac{m_i}{m_f})[/tex]

g_0 is the sea level acceleration of gravity, Isp is the specific impulse of the engine (a measurement of the "effectiveness" of the motor), m_i is the fueled or gross mass, m_f is the empty mass.

The statistics you have listed are only for the third stage of the pegasus rocket, most likely taken from http://www.astronautix.com/stages/pegasus3.htm . To compute the final speed of the whole rocket, you'll need to take each stage seperately, adding the fueled mass into both the final and initial masses, and then dropping the lower stages' mass.

Hope all that made sense. Your english is fine... much better than my attempt at your native language, I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Enigma.

That is perfectly answering my question. The theoretical question was, if we place third stage on Rutan VSS Enterprise spaceship, instead of tourists, what mass we can put on LEO. After some calculation (another forum), we calculated that it might be possible to lunch 20kg/25kg on LEO, but we will need a VERYVERY good hydrogen based third stage, and that is not truly realistic. Thank you for your help once again.

Related to Final speed of rocket in space

1. What factors affect the final speed of a rocket in space?

The final speed of a rocket in space is affected by several factors, including the amount of thrust produced by the rocket's engines, the mass of the rocket and its payload, the efficiency of the rocket's propulsion system, and the presence of any external forces such as gravity or atmospheric resistance.

2. Can a rocket achieve infinite speed in space?

No, it is not possible for a rocket to achieve infinite speed in space. According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum attainable speed in the universe. This means that no object, including a rocket, can travel at a speed greater than the speed of light.

3. How does the final speed of a rocket in space compare to its initial speed?

The final speed of a rocket in space will generally be much greater than its initial speed. This is because the rocket's engines continue to provide thrust and accelerate the rocket throughout its journey, allowing it to reach higher speeds over time.

4. Can a rocket's final speed in space be controlled?

Yes, a rocket's final speed in space can be controlled by adjusting the amount of thrust produced by its engines. By increasing or decreasing the thrust, the rocket's acceleration and final speed can be changed.

5. How is the final speed of a rocket in space calculated?

The final speed of a rocket in space can be calculated using the rocket equation, which takes into account the rocket's mass, the mass of its propellant, and the specific impulse of its engines. Other factors such as external forces and the curvature of space-time may also need to be considered in certain situations.