Find acidic aquenous solutions

• Thread starter Jaggis
  • Start date
In summary, the only acidic aqueous solution in the given compounds is HCOOH. There is no explanation given for this, but it can be determined by recognizing functional organic groups, specifically alcohols, aldehydes, and carboxylic acids. Additionally, the book provides the answer for which compounds form hydrogen bonds between molecules, but no explanation is given for this either.
Jaggis

Homework Statement

Which of the following chemical compounds are acidic aqueous solutions?

C2H2, C3H8, CH3OH, HCOOH, CH3OCH and benzene.

Homework Equations

Not known.

The Attempt at a Solution

The hydrocarbons aren't polar, that much I know. In the list there are, however, two polar compounds...

I know the answer is that only HCOOH is an acidic aqueous solution, but no explanation is given. Am I supposed to be able to tell which ones are acidic aquenous solutions simply by looking at the chemical formula? Should I write the reaction first ([compound] + H2O → ...) and if so, how would I know what the products are in each case? After all, wouldn't I need the products in order to determine how much H3O- and HO-ions are produced?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I also have a second question: which of the above mentioned compunds form hydrogen bonds between molecules? The book gives me the answer but not explanation.

Again, how am I supposed to know this simply by looking at the formulas?

It is about functional organic groups and recognizing alcohol, aldehyde and carboxylic acids.

1. What is an acidic aqueous solution?

An acidic aqueous solution is a solution where the solvent is water and the pH level is below 7. This means that the solution contains a higher concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) than hydroxide ions (OH-), making it acidic.

2. How can I identify an acidic aqueous solution?

An acidic aqueous solution can be identified using a pH indicator, such as litmus paper, which changes color in the presence of acidic or basic substances. It can also be identified by measuring its pH level using a pH meter or pH strips.

3. What are some common examples of acidic aqueous solutions?

Some common examples of acidic aqueous solutions include lemon juice, vinegar, and battery acid. Other household products, like coffee and orange juice, can also be acidic due to the presence of citric acid or other acidic compounds.

4. How are acidic aqueous solutions formed?

Acidic aqueous solutions are formed when an acid is dissolved in water. Acids are substances that release hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water, lowering the pH level of the solution and making it acidic.

5. Are acidic aqueous solutions harmful?

The strength and concentration of an acidic aqueous solution determine its level of harm. Some acidic solutions, like lemon juice, are safe for consumption in small amounts. However, strong acids, such as sulfuric acid, can be corrosive and harmful to living organisms. It is important to handle and dispose of acidic solutions properly to avoid any potential harm.