Find all critical points, and identify them as minima, maxima, or

In summary: T2J9Y.png[/img]You can see that at (0,0) the function has a minimum. There are also four critical points at the ellipsis where the function increases and decreases.
Jormungandr

Homework Statement

Consider the function f(x,y) = (x2 + 4y2)e(1-x2-y2)

Find all critical points, and identify them as maxima, minima, or saddle points.

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the partial of x and the partial of y, and set them equal to 0. This is what I got:

fx(x,y) = 4y2 - x2 - 1 = 0

fy(x,y) = 4y - 2x2 + 4 = 0

But from here I'm kind of lost. I took Calc 3 a year ago, last fall, and now I've had to recall a lot of it for my PChem class. This is one of our homework questions, and I'm just having a lot of trouble remembering what the steps are for this. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your derivatives first. I came up with something similar but a little different.

Then, what you are left with is two ellipses. Therefore, the solution set which satisfies both equations would be the intersection points of those two ellipses gained from fx and fy.

After finding those points you can use the second partials test to categorize the extrema as being a local max, local min or a saddle point.

For reference, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_partial_derivative_test.

Hope this helps

The partial with respect to ##x## is:

##\frac{∂}{∂x} [e^{1-x^2-y^2} (x^2+4y^2)] = -2x e^{1-x^2-y^2} (x^2+4y^2-1)##

Set that equal to zero. Note that ##e^u > 0, \forall u \in ℝ^2##. So either ##x=0## or ##x^2+4y^2-1 = 0##.

That gives you one coordinate of potential point(s), ##x=0##. You have to solve the other one in terms of x or y.

Then take your partial with respect to y and run through the cases.

So I've been slowly plodding through this problem, and so far this is what I've done:

Took partial of ##x##, factored out the ##e## term and canceled it, because it can never equal ##0##.

So ##x^2+4y^2-1 = 0##

Same with the partial of ##y##: ##x^2+4y^2 = 4##

Now, these are ellipses, but they don't intersect. Ever. So from partial of ##x##, I got ##x = 0## and from partial of ##y##, I got ##y = 0##. I plugged in ##x = 0## into ##x^2+4y^2 = 4## and vice versa for the other, and the critical points I got were:

##(0,0)##
##(0,1)##
##(0,-1)##
##(1,0)##
##(-1,0)##

I then took the second partials of ##x## and ##y##, and the mixed partial ##xy##. I substituted each point into the formula:

##D(x,y) = f_{xx}(x,y) f_{yy}(x,y) - [f_{xy}(x,y)]^2## and got:

##(0,0)##: Saddle point
##(0,1)##: Maximum
##(0,-1)##: Saddle point
##(1,0)##: Saddle point
##(-1,0)##: Saddle point

And... That just seems off to me. The way I see it, either I got the wrong critical points, or I took the wrong partial derivatives. I got:

##f_{xx}(x,y) = (2-10x^2-8y^2+4x^4+16x^2y^2)e^{1-x^2-y^2}##

##f_{yy}(x,y) = (8 - 2x^2 - 24y^2 - 16y + 4x^2 y^2 + 16y^4)e^{1-x^2-y^2}##

##f_{xy}(x,y) = (-20xy+4x^{3}y+16xy^3)e^{1-x^2-y^2}##

And this is where I am a bit stumped. The next part has me calculating the total differential, which doesn't seem too difficult. But I am at my wit's end, and short of redoing the entire problem I am not sure what could have gone wrong. If someone could diagnose what I've done incorrectly, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jormungandr said:
So I've been slowly plodding through this problem, and so far this is what I've done:

Took partial of ##x##, factored out the ##e## term and canceled it, because it can never equal ##0##.

So ##x^2+4y^2-1 = 0##

Same with the partial of ##y##: ##x^2+4y^2 = 4##

Now, these are ellipses, but they don't intersect. Ever. So from partial of ##x##, I got ##x = 0## and from partial of ##y##, I got ##y = 0##. I plugged in ##x = 0## into ##x^2+4y^2 = 4## and vice versa for the other, and the critical points I got were:

##(0,0)##
##(0,1)##
##(0,-1)##
##(1,0)##
##(-1,0)##

I then took the second partials of ##x## and ##y##, and the mixed partial ##xy##. I substituted each point into the formula:

##D(x,y) = f_{xx}(x,y) f_{yy}(x,y) - [f_{xy}(x,y)]^2## and got:

And... That just seems off to me. The way I see it, either I got the wrong critical points, or I took the wrong partial derivatives. I got:

##f_{xx}(x,y) = (2-10x^2-8y^2+4x^4+16x^2y^2)e^{1-x^2-y^2}##

##f_{yy}(x,y) = (8 - 2x^2 - 24y^2 - 16y + 4x^2 y^2 + 16y^4)e^{1-x^2-y^2}##

##f_{xy}(x,y) = (-20xy+4x^{3}y+16xy^3)e^{1-x^2-y^2}##

And this is where I am a bit stumped. The next part has me calculating the total differential, which doesn't seem too difficult. But I am at my wit's end, and short of redoing the entire problem I am not sure what could have gone wrong. If someone could diagnose what I've done incorrectly, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Your partial derivatives look alright I think. Also, you got these points :

I'm getting (0,0) as a minimum and (0,-1) as a max ( not a saddle ). Otherwise everything else looks good.

Last edited:
I agree with Zondrina, the values are correct but not their classification.

To help visualize the function I attached its image.

Attachments

• maxMinProblem.nb
    169.3 KB · Views: 578

What are critical points?

Critical points are points on a graph where the derivative of a function is equal to zero or undefined. They can be either minima, maxima, or saddle points.

How do you find critical points?

To find critical points, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the critical points. You may also need to check the points where the derivative is undefined.

How do you determine if a critical point is a minimum or maximum?

To determine if a critical point is a minimum or maximum, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive at the critical point, it is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, it is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, the test is inconclusive.

Can a function have more than one critical point?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical points. These points can be either minima, maxima, or saddle points. It is important to check the second derivative at each point to determine the nature of the critical point.

Why are critical points important in mathematics?

Critical points are important in mathematics because they help us identify the minimum and maximum values of a function. They are also used in optimization problems to find the most efficient solution. Additionally, critical points can provide information about the behavior of a function, such as its concavity and inflection points.