Find all roots of x^3 + 3x^2 - 10x + 6

• Thread starter stat643
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, to find all the roots of the polynomial x^3 + 3x^2 - 10x + 6, we first identify the easy root of x=1. Then, we can find the remaining roots by factoring out a common term in x^2+4x and using the quadratic formula. It is important to not blindly copy a solution and instead think critically about the factorization. Additionally, synthetic division can be used to verify the factorization and determine the coefficients of the polynomial.
stat643
find all roots of x^3 + 3x^2 - 10x + 6

the solution:
identify the easy root of x=1,
find the remaining roots from (x-1)(x^2+4x) using quadratic formula.

The only thing i don't understand here is how to factorize to (x-1)(x^2+4x)... namely the (x^2+4x) part.

Physics news on Phys.org
factor out a common term in x^2+4x

and you're pretty much done

but how did i get to x^2+4x in the first place?... the original equation was x^3 + 3x^2 - 10x + 6.. i merely copied the solution... so i find the easy root of 1.. then what?

Last edited:
use synthetic division

No, don't use synthetic division (just yet). Pause for a moment and think: is it plausible that x^2+4x is a factor? It isn't. Copying out the answer is never a good idea.

i just looked up synthetic devision on wikipedia and tried it but it didnt work

matt grime said:
No, don't use synthetic division (just yet). Pause for a moment and think: is it plausible that x^2+4x is a factor? It isn't. Copying out the answer is never a good idea.

should i take out the common term x first?

stat643 said:
i just looked up synthetic devision on wikipedia and tried it but it didnt work

Then you should practice synthetic division once more!

Further, ponder over matt grime's words:

WHY should you be suspicious of that particular factorization?

Hint:
How could you ascertain whether the factorization is correct or false?

oh sorry i copied it wrong, it should be (x-1)(x^2+4x-6).. now expanding that get: x^3 + 4x^2 -6x -x^2 -4x + 6 = x^3 + 3x^2 - 10x + 6.. so yeh its right now.. though i still can't get the synthetic devision right (its new to me)

i tried to learn it now from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_division

though i keep getting 1,2,-12,18

can someone help show how i would use synthetic devision for the original polynomial ?

Last edited:
Okay, we wish to find a second-order polynomial so that:
[tex](x-1)(ax^{2}+bx+c)=x^{3}+3x^{2}-10x+6[/tex] holds for all x.
I.e, we must determine a,b and c!

Multiplying out the left-hand side, and organizing in powers of x, the lefthandside can be rewritten as:
[tex]ax^{3}+(b-a)x^{2}+(c-b)x-c= x^{3}+3x^{2}-10x+6[/tex]

NOw, the coefficients of each power must be equal on the right and left sides, yielding the system of equations:
a=1
b-a=3
c-b=-10
-c=6

This yields:
a=1
b=4
c=-6

thanks arildno, very helpful

1. What is the formula for finding the roots of a cubic equation?

The formula for finding the roots of a cubic equation is called the "cubic formula": x = [-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac - 27d^2)] / 2a, where a, b, c, and d are the coefficients of the equation.

2. How can I determine the number of real roots for a cubic equation?

The number of real roots for a cubic equation can be determined by calculating the discriminant, Δ = b^2 - 4ac - 27d^2. If Δ > 0, there are three distinct real roots. If Δ = 0, there is one real root. If Δ < 0, there are three distinct complex roots.

3. How do I find the rational roots of a cubic equation?

To find the rational roots of a cubic equation, you can use the Rational Root Theorem, which states that the rational roots will be a factor of the constant term (in this case, 6) divided by a factor of the leading coefficient (in this case, 1). For the equation x^3 + 3x^2 - 10x + 6, the possible rational roots would be ±1, ±2, ±3, ±6.

4. Can I use the cubic formula to find the roots of any cubic equation?

Yes, the cubic formula can be used to find the roots of any cubic equation. However, it is a more complex and time-consuming method compared to other techniques such as factoring or using the Rational Root Theorem.

5. How can I check if my calculated roots are correct?

You can check if your calculated roots are correct by plugging them back into the original equation and seeing if they satisfy the equation. For example, if one of the calculated roots is x = 2, you can substitute 2 for x in x^3 + 3x^2 - 10x + 6 and see if the result is equal to 0.