Find an expression for the acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the acceleration of a mass (m_1) in a system with a pulley and another mass (m_2). The conversation includes considerations for friction, tension, and sign conventions. The final expression for the acceleration of m_1 is (2*m_2*g)/(4m_1+m_2).
aliciaw0
In the figure, find an expression for the acceleration of m_1

i don't understand why

(-m_2*g)/(((-m_2)/2)-m_1) isn't right

because the a of mass#2 is (-a_1)/2 right?

Attachments

• acceleration.jpg
    acceleration.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 553
Physics news on Phys.org
So i am assuming that the pulley has no friction and its rotation does not need to be taken into account, also the pulley does has no mass and can be treated as a point particle.

Just draw a FBD for each mass seperately.

The first mass has friction f with the table (i assume this, if it is not the case than f =0 ofcourse). T is the tension in he rope
[tex]m_1a_1 = T-f[/tex]

For mass 2 you get
[tex]m_2a_2=2T-m_2g[/tex]

hence [tex]m_1 = \frac{m_2(a_2+g)-2f}{2a_1}[/tex]

This is the most general form. I do not know whether extra info was given on the masses standing still or not ? If so, some variables in the above formula will vanish

marlon

Last edited:
oh that's right, it never did say anything about it being frictionless, maybe that's what i did wrong.

and there was no other information about the masses standing still

aliciaw0 said:
i don't understand why

(-m_2*g)/(((-m_2)/2)-m_1) isn't right
Show how you arrived at this answer.

because the a of mass#2 is (-a_1)/2 right?
That's correct. (Be careful with signs.)

x m_1: T=m_1*a_1

y m_2: T-m_2*g=m_2*a_2
2(m_1*a_1)*g=m_2*a_2

a_2= a_1/2

2 (m_1*a_1)*g=m_2*(a_1/2)

aliciaw0 said:
x m_1: T=m_1*a_1
OK.
y m_2: T-m_2*g=m_2*a_2
Two problems here:
(1) The rope pulls twice on the pulley (and thus on m_2)
(2) Careful with your sign convention. If you want to use up for positive, then be consistent. (You chose a positive a_1 going to the right.)

a_2= a_1/2
If m_1 moves to the right, then m_2 moves down: this means that if you call a_1 positive, then by your sign convention for m_2, its acceleration should be negative a_2.

Regarding sign conventions, here's what I do: I always assume a_1 and a_2 to be positive numbers. I also visualize how the accelerations relate to each other. If a_1 is to the right, then a_2 is down. Then I write my equations accordingly.

Try it again.

oh ok.. so i redid it and i got

m2 y: 2T-m_2*g=m_2*a_2

since T= m_1*a_1 i subsituted that it and solved for a_1 and got

a_1= (2*m_2*g)/(4m_1+m_2) is this right?

Looks good to me.

1. What is acceleration and why is it important to find an expression for it?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. It is important to find an expression for it because it helps us understand how an object's velocity changes over time, which is crucial in predicting its future motion.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of an object?

The acceleration of an object can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the object's initial velocity. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and gravity can also play a role in determining the acceleration of an object.

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. A negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when an object's velocity decreases over time. This can happen when a force is applied in the opposite direction of motion or when an object is slowing down due to friction or air resistance.

5. How can you use an expression for acceleration to predict an object's future motion?

By using an expression for acceleration, we can determine the rate at which an object's velocity is changing over time. This allows us to predict the object's future motion by calculating its future velocity and position. This information can be useful in various fields such as transportation, engineering, and sports.