Find cdf, pdf and expextation value of a random variable

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the cumulative distribution and density functions for a random variable X with a uniform distribution on the interval [-1,1]. The random variable Y is defined as Y=X^2 and the expected value E(Y) is also sought. The suggested method involves changing variables and using the definition of the cumulative distribution function. The solution also mentions alternative methods such as using the expectation formula or the characteristic function.
strangequark

Homework Statement

Let X represent the random choice of a real number on the interval [-1,1] which has a uniform distribution such that the probability density function is[tex]f_{X}(x)=\frac{1}{2}[/tex] when [tex]-1\leqx\leq1[/tex]. Let[tex] Y=X^{2}[/tex] a. Find the cumulative distribution [tex]F_{Y}(y)[/tex] b. the density function [tex]f_{Y}(y)[/tex] and c. the expected value [tex]E(Y)[/tex].

Homework Equations

my book gives a great explanation on how to change variables for joint distributions, but little is said about functions of one random variable, so I'm kind of at a loss here.

The Attempt at a Solution

first, if [tex]Y=X^{2}[/tex], then I want to say we need to find Y over the interval
[0,1]. And integrating I have that:
[tex]F_{X}(x)=\frac{x+1}{2}[/tex] which is [tex]P(X\leqx)[/tex]...
now I want to say [tex]P(X\leqx)=P(\sqrt{Y}\leqx)[/tex]...

i'm not sure where to go from here...
can I just substitute [tex] \sqrt{y} [/tex] for x so I have:

[tex]F_{Y}(y)=\frac{\sqrt{y}+1}{2}[/tex] ??

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to look at the cumulative distribution function F(X) for some random process is F(x) = p(X<x). In other words, the value of the F(x) is the probability that a random number drawn from the distribution is smaller than x. If the random process has some lower bound and upper bound, the CDF F(x) must be identically zero below the lower bound and identically one above the upper bound. Your conjectured function does not exhibit this behavior. (Look at FY(0).)

Using the above definition of the CDF, FY(y) = p(Y<y). Translate this expression to the original random variable and evaluate the resultant probability expression.

part a:

1. graph and draw a picture of y = x^2

2. note that y is only valid from 0 to 1 ( since y = x^2 can only produce zero and positive numbers)

3. to get the CDF formula, find the limits of the integral. y goes from 0 to x^2 and x goes from 0 to infinity. once the limits are found, plug the pdf into the CDF formula and then do the integration

part b:

part c:

for part c there are two ways of doing this. use the expectation formula. or find the characteristic function and then evaluate -j times the first derivative of the characteristic function when the characteristic function's variable equals to zero.

Last edited:

1. What is a random variable?

A random variable is a variable that takes on numerical values based on the outcomes of a random experiment or process. It is often denoted by the letter X.

2. What is a cumulative distribution function (cdf)?

A cumulative distribution function (cdf) is a function that maps each possible value of a random variable to the probability that the random variable takes on a value less than or equal to that value. It is denoted by F(x) or P(X ≤ x).

3. What is a probability density function (pdf)?

A probability density function (pdf) is a function that describes the probability distribution of a continuous random variable. It gives the relative likelihood of the random variable taking on a particular value. It is denoted by f(x) or P(X = x).

4. How do you find the cdf, pdf, and expectation value of a random variable?

To find the cdf of a random variable, you can use the formula F(x) = P(X ≤ x). To find the pdf, you can differentiate the cdf with respect to x. To find the expectation value, you can use the formula E(X) = ∫ xf(x) dx, where the integral is taken over all possible values of X.

5. What is the importance of knowing the cdf, pdf, and expectation value of a random variable?

Knowing the cdf, pdf, and expectation value of a random variable allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the random variable. It helps us make predictions and draw conclusions about the random process or experiment. These values also play a crucial role in statistical analysis and decision making.