Find Centroid of Shape: X & Y Dimensions from Point O

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the positions of the centroid of a complex shape. The suggested method is to break the shape into smaller, simpler ones and calculate the centroid of each piece. These centroids can then be related to each other and used to find the centroid of the entire shape. The suggested approach also involves calculating the moment of area for each piece and using point O as the reference.
physicx_1

Homework Statement

CALCULATE POSITIONS OF THE CENTROID OF THE SHAPE SHOWN BELOW

GIVE DIMENSIONS FROM POINT O ALONG THE HORIZONTAL X-DIRECTION, AND THE VERTICAL Y-DIRECTION.
[PLAIN]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/738/unledgj.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to find the middle of the distances in the symmetry. does the c of g line somewhere in the center line of the diagram?

I'm really stuck, please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Try breaking up this complicated shape into several simpler ones.

SteamKing said:
Hint: Try breaking up this complicated shape into several simpler ones.

but once i do that, and find the c of g of those shapes, how do i relate them together?

can anyone help?

I know to break into simpler shapes. and I did. however there are some irregular shapes even if I was to break them into smaller ones. what do I do to deal with those?

Once you have broken the larger figure into smaller pieces, set up a table where you calculate the area of each smaller piece and determine the c.g. of each of the pieces using point O as the reference. Calculate the moment of area of each of the pieces. Add up the areas and moments. Find the total area and c.g. of the larger figure.

1. What is the definition of centroid?

The centroid of a shape is the geometric center or average position of all the points in the shape. It is often referred to as the "center of gravity" or "center of mass" of the shape.

2. How is the centroid of a shape calculated?

To find the centroid of a shape, you need to first determine the X and Y coordinates of all the points in the shape. Then, you can use the formula X = [(x1 + x2 + ... + xn) / n] and Y = [(y1 + y2 + ... + yn) / n], where n is the total number of points, to calculate the centroid's coordinates.

3. What does the centroid represent?

The centroid of a shape represents the balance point of the shape, where the shape can be suspended without tipping over. It also represents the point where the shape would rotate around if a force was applied to it.

4. Can the centroid be outside of the shape?

Yes, the centroid can be outside of the shape. This can happen if the shape is irregular or has a concave portion. In these cases, the centroid may fall outside of the shape's boundaries.

5. Why is finding the centroid important?

Finding the centroid is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can help determine the stability and balance of a structure or object, as well as calculate certain properties of the shape such as its moment of inertia.