Find constants s.t. the following expression holds for all n.

In summary, the goal is to find constants c_1 and c_2 such that the given inequality holds for all natural numbers n. The attempt at a solution involves using the series representation of logarithm and manipulating it to find an upper bound for the difference between the given sum and logarithm. The final solution is c_2 = 1, taking into account the additional term \frac{c_1}{n}.
phreak

Homework Statement

Find constants [tex]c_1,c_2[/tex] (independent of n) such that the following holds for all [tex]n\in \mathbb{N}[/tex]:

[tex]\left| \sum^{2n}_{k=n+1} \frac{1}{k} - \log 2 - \frac{c_1}{n} \right| \le \frac{c_2}{n^2}.[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\log(2) = \sum^{\infty}_{k=1} (-1)^{k+1}\left( \frac{1}{k} \right). [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the obvious method would be to just input the series for [tex]\log(2)[/tex] and try to find something from that. I tried but found virtually nothing that I could work with. Can anyone give me any hints as to how to proceed?

Edit: Okay, I think I have just confirmed that

[tex] \sum^{2n}_{k=n+1} \frac{1}{k} - \log 2 = -\sum^{\infty}_{k=2n+1} (-1)^{k+1} \left( \frac{1}{k} \right). [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If that is correct, then it would seem that we could use the fact that \left| \sum^{\infty}_{k=2n+1} (-1)^{k+1} \left( \frac{1}{k} \right) \right| \le \sum^{\infty}_{k=2n+1} \left( \frac{1}{k} \right) = \frac{1}{2n}.Thus, we can set c_2 = 1/2, and thus we have \left| \sum^{2n}_{k=n+1} \frac{1}{k} - \log 2 - \frac{c_1}{n} \right| \le \frac{1/2}{n^2}.Is this correct? Edit 2: Now I'm thinking that the answer should be c_2 = 1, since we must also account for the \frac{c_1}{n} term. Is this correct?

1. What is the purpose of finding constants in an expression?

The purpose of finding constants in an expression is to ensure that the expression holds true for all values of the variable n. This allows for a more general and accurate representation of the relationship between different quantities in a mathematical equation.

2. How do you approach finding constants in an expression?

The first step in finding constants in an expression is to identify the variable and any other known quantities. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation and other mathematical techniques to solve for the constants that will make the expression hold true for all values of the variable.

3. Is it always possible to find constants that satisfy an expression for all values of the variable?

No, it is not always possible to find constants that will make an expression hold true for all values of the variable. In some cases, the expression may have restrictions or limitations that cannot be satisfied by any constants.

4. Can you give an example of finding constants in an expression?

Sure, let's say we have the expression 2n + 5 = 3n. To find the constant, we can subtract 2n from both sides, leaving us with 5 = n. Therefore, the constant in this expression is 5, as the equation will hold true for all values of n when n is equal to 5.

5. How can finding constants in an expression be useful in scientific research?

Finding constants in an expression can be useful in scientific research because it allows for a better understanding of the relationships between different variables and quantities. This can help in making predictions, developing models, and testing hypotheses in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.