1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find field intensity at center of toroid?

1. Feb 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I really think my answer is correct - could someone verify this or let me know where I went wrong? This is problem submitted online, the "correct" answer looks like my teacher accidentally hit the button 3 twice.
    PROBLEM:
    The toriod in example 5-1 from the textbook has an inner diameter of 3.1 cm and an outer diameter of 4 cm. 8 amps are flowing through 41 turns on the toroid.

What is the field intensity very close to the inside diameter (A/m)?

See attachment for figure.

2. Relevant equations
    Rm = 0.5*(Di+Do)/2
    H = Ni/L
    L = 2*PI*Rm

Simply find H.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I plugged in the numbers many times and keep getting 367.62. My teacher got 3367.92. Looks like the 3 was clicked twice? Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm getting the same answer as your teacher. Note that you are asked to find the field "very close to the inside diameter".

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3
    Okay. Here are my steps
    1) Find Rm = (0.01775)/4= 0.01775
    2) Find H = Ni*I/(2*PI*Rm) = 42*8/(2IPI*.01775 = 3012.8

I forgot to put the I in my first answer.

I don't see the importance of the "very close to the inside diameter" part and how that effects the equation.

5. Feb 22, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are using the mean value of R: Rm. But you need to use the value of R that corresponds to being close to the inner diameter.

Did you derive the formula for H in class using Ampere's law, or were you just given the formula without a derivation?

6. Feb 22, 2015 #5
    We were not given it. Maybe they just assume I could derive it? Not sure. But I think I see what you are saying. So rather than going to the Rm, I should just use Ri -->
    Ri = .031/2
    Didn't derive it but that gives the right answer. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted