Find field intensity at center of toroid?

In summary, the student plugged in the numbers many times and got 367.62, which is close to the value that corresponds to being close to the inner diameter.
D.B0004

Homework Statement

I really think my answer is correct - could someone verify this or let me know where I went wrong? This is problem submitted online, the "correct" answer looks like my teacher accidentally hit the button 3 twice.
PROBLEM:
The toriod in example 5-1 from the textbook has an inner diameter of 3.1 cm and an outer diameter of 4 cm. 8 amps are flowing through 41 turns on the toroid.

What is the field intensity very close to the inside diameter (A/m)?

See attachment for figure.

Homework Equations

Rm = 0.5*(Di+Do)/2
H = Ni/L
L = 2*PI*Rm

Simply find H.

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the numbers many times and keep getting 367.62. My teacher got 3367.92. Looks like the 3 was clicked twice? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Problem Statement.png
    Problem Statement.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 426
  • Figure from Ex 5.1.png
    Figure from Ex 5.1.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting the same answer as your teacher. Note that you are asked to find the field "very close to the inside diameter".

Okay. Here are my steps
1) Find Rm = (0.01775)/4= 0.01775
2) Find H = Ni*I/(2*PI*Rm) = 42*8/(2IPI*.01775 = 3012.8

I forgot to put the I in my first answer.

I don't see the importance of the "very close to the inside diameter" part and how that effects the equation.

D.B0004 said:
Okay. Here are my steps
1) Find Rm = (0.01775)/4= 0.01775
2) Find H = Ni*I/(2*PI*Rm) = 42*8/(2IPI*.01775 = 3012.8

You are using the mean value of R: Rm. But you need to use the value of R that corresponds to being close to the inner diameter.

Did you derive the formula for H in class using Ampere's law, or were you just given the formula without a derivation?

Likes D.B0004
We were not given it. Maybe they just assume I could derive it? Not sure. But I think I see what you are saying. So rather than going to the Rm, I should just use Ri -->
Ri = .031/2
Didn't derive it but that gives the right answer. Thanks.

1. What is a toroid?

A toroid is a three-dimensional shape resembling a doughnut or a bagel, formed by rotating a circle about an axis that is tangent to the circle. It is commonly used in physics and engineering as a shape for transformers and inductors.

2. How is field intensity defined?

Field intensity, also known as magnetic field strength, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point. It is defined as the force experienced by a unit magnetic pole placed at that point.

3. What factors affect the field intensity at the center of a toroid?

The field intensity at the center of a toroid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the coil, the radius of the toroid, and the permeability of the material used in the toroid.

4. How do I calculate the field intensity at the center of a toroid?

The field intensity at the center of a toroid can be calculated using the formula H = (N * I) / (2π * r), where N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, and r is the radius of the toroid.

5. Why is the field intensity at the center of a toroid considered constant?

The field intensity at the center of a toroid is considered constant because the magnetic field lines are tightly packed and parallel to each other, forming a uniform magnetic field. This is due to the toroidal shape, which allows for the cancellation of the external magnetic fields.