Find field intensity at center of toroid?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
D.B0004
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I really think my answer is correct - could someone verify this or let me know where I went wrong? This is problem submitted online, the "correct" answer looks like my teacher accidentally hit the button 3 twice.
PROBLEM:
The toriod in example 5-1 from the textbook has an inner diameter of 3.1 cm and an outer diameter of 4 cm. 8 amps are flowing through 41 turns on the toroid.

What is the field intensity very close to the inside diameter (A/m)?

See attachment for figure.

Homework Equations


Rm = 0.5*(Di+Do)/2
H = Ni/L
L = 2*PI*Rm

Simply find H.

The Attempt at a Solution


I plugged in the numbers many times and keep getting 367.62. My teacher got 3367.92. Looks like the 3 was clicked twice? Any help appreciated.
 
Attachments
  • Problem Statement.png
    Problem Statement.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 516
  • Figure from Ex 5.1.png
    Figure from Ex 5.1.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 552
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting the same answer as your teacher. Note that you are asked to find the field "very close to the inside diameter".
 
Okay. Here are my steps
1) Find Rm = (0.01775)/4= 0.01775
2) Find H = Ni*I/(2*PI*Rm) = 42*8/(2IPI*.01775 = 3012.8

I forgot to put the I in my first answer.

I don't see the importance of the "very close to the inside diameter" part and how that effects the equation.
 
D.B0004 said:
Okay. Here are my steps
1) Find Rm = (0.01775)/4= 0.01775
2) Find H = Ni*I/(2*PI*Rm) = 42*8/(2IPI*.01775 = 3012.8

You are using the mean value of R: Rm. But you need to use the value of R that corresponds to being close to the inner diameter.

Did you derive the formula for H in class using Ampere's law, or were you just given the formula without a derivation?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: D.B0004
We were not given it. Maybe they just assume I could derive it? Not sure. But I think I see what you are saying. So rather than going to the Rm, I should just use Ri -->
Ri = .031/2
Didn't derive it but that gives the right answer. Thanks.