Find height of ball rotating in cone without falling down?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving finding the angle theta for the normal force on a ball, with given equations f=ma and v^2/r. After some confusion and discussion, the person realizes they need to take the tan inverse to find the angle and that there may be an error in the problem statement. They eventually figure out the solution and mark it as solved. However, there is still some confusion about why they only received partial credit for the first part of the problem.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

circlemotion.PNG

Homework Equations

f=ma
v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused about this question because i am not given an angle theta for the normal force on the ball.
My x component has only the normal force, my y component has only the gravitational force.
I set my y component to 0 (because the ball would be going neither up or down) and just get -mg = 0
So i am confused here on what to do. Need a hint

Attachments

• circlemotion.PNG
    circlemotion.PNG
    8.4 KB · Views: 736
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i figured it out, i had to take the tan inverse to find the angle. i didn't think it through enough so the height was .15meters, i still do not know why i am only getting partial credit (0.90/1.00) for the top question

Ok i actually figured out the top one too i will mark solved now

isukatphysics69 said:
ok i figured it out, i had to take the tan inverse to find the angle. i didn't think it through enough so the height was .15meters, i still do not know why i am only getting partial credit (0.90/1.00) for the top question
You have the correct answer for the second part. I think there is something wrong in the problem statement for the first part. Notice that it says the height is .5m and the speed is 1.2m/s. This is inconsistent with the answer for the second part.

Last edited:
Likes isukatphysics69

1. What is the concept behind finding the height of a ball rotating in a cone without falling down?

The concept behind finding the height of a ball rotating in a cone without falling down involves using the principles of centrifugal force and gravity. As the ball rotates in the cone, the centrifugal force acts outward and the force of gravity acts downwards. The balance between these two forces determines the height of the ball.

2. How can we measure the height of a ball rotating in a cone without falling down?

To measure the height of a ball rotating in a cone without falling down, we can use a measuring instrument such as a ruler or measuring tape. We need to measure the distance between the highest point of the ball and the base of the cone. This will give us the height of the ball.

3. What factors affect the height of a ball rotating in a cone without falling down?

The height of a ball rotating in a cone without falling down is affected by several factors such as the speed of rotation, the mass of the ball, and the angle of the cone. As these factors change, the balance between centrifugal force and gravity also changes, resulting in a different height for the ball.

4. How does the angle of the cone affect the height of the ball rotating without falling down?

The angle of the cone plays a crucial role in determining the height of the ball rotating without falling down. A steeper cone angle will result in a higher height for the ball, as the centrifugal force acting outward increases with the angle. On the other hand, a shallower cone angle will result in a lower height for the ball.

5. What applications can the concept of finding the height of a ball rotating in a cone without falling down have?

The concept of finding the height of a ball rotating in a cone without falling down has various applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to understand the dynamics of objects in circular motion, such as satellites orbiting the Earth. It can also be applied in designing amusement park rides or other rotating machinery.