Find Initial Velocity - Projectile Motion

In summary, the rock was projected from the edge of a 30.48 m tall building at an unknown angle above the horizontal. 5 seconds after, it struck the ground at a distance of 48.76 m from the building. The speed of the rock was determined to be 9.75 m/s.
Calaereth
Missing template due to originally being posted in technical forum.
I've been trying to come up with the answer but it hasn't gotten me anywhere.
I know that I need to find the angle to get the velocity.

Q: A rock is projected from the edge of a 30.48 m tall building at some unknown angle above the horizontal. 5 seconds after, the rock strikes the ground at a distance of 48.76 m from the building. Determine the speed of the rock.

Given:
delta X = 48.76 m
delta Y = -30.48 m
t = 5 s
Find:
Vi
Angle (Not necessary)

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try? It helps to see where you're making mistakes in your work.

My teacher hasn't really taught us how to do it but gave us 5 motion equations:

a = V2 - V1 / delta t
delta d = 1/2 (V1 + V2) delta t
delta d =V1*t + 0.5t^2
delta d = v2*t - 0.5*a*t^2
v2^2 = V1^2 + 2a*delta d

I tried to find the angle using
theta = tan-1(Vyf/Vxf)
or
theta = tan-1(dy/dx)
It gave me 32 degrees

Tell me if this is right and where do I go from here?

Last edited:
How did you get the velocities for that angle formula?

I didn't since I used the distances:

theta = tan-1 (30.48m/48.76m)
=32 degree

But that's not telling you what angle it's thrown at--it's telling you the angle between the horizontal and the landing point.

Previously -
Horizontal
Vix = V cos 32
Vertical
Viy = V sin 32

I tried this:
delta Y = Viy*t +0.5 * -9.8 * 5^2
Viy = (delta y - 0.5*9.8*-t^2)/t
Viy = (30.48 -122.5)/5
Viy = -18.404 m/s

Last edited:
It is very basic question in physics. If you know motion Graph,I think it is very easy.You do not need to know the angel of the rock to find out its time to fall on ground.your method is also wrong.you should draw the diagram.

Likes Calaereth
I hope you can solve this problem. If you cannot, than I will help you.

So basically I have to use simple equations to solve for this such as

V= d/t
V = 48.76 m / 5s
V = 9.75 m/s

If this is not right, then can you please help me?

it is also wrong

I've never had a problem that is to find the initial velocity of a projectile motion and with a height at that.

Let me try it out though.

what you study and which level you have? do not mind because it is easy for me to explain you.

In grade 12 and I don't have any previous knowledge on projectile motion. We haven't really covered it much in class.

yes, you read the book ...Physics for scientist and Engineers by tipler...Hope you will get the answer.

Likes Calaereth
I need a faster approach to solving the problem. If you know how to solve it can you show me how?
If not then, I guess I can get the book.

Calaereth said:
So basically I have to use simple equations to solve for this such as

V= d/t
V = 48.76 m / 5s
V = 9.75 m/s

If this is not right, then can you please help me?

Yes, that is your horizontal velocity. Notice that the total horizontal distance is 48.76 m, and it is traveled in 5 s. You can do this because the x and y velocities are completely independent of each other.

Now you need to find the y component of the velocity and use both of them to find the total speed.

The formula you used before is correct, but you solved incorrectly. You have the wrong sign for the 0.5*9.8 t^2 term on the left side. Acceleration is negative, so you should be adding it to the left side. It should be [itex]-30.48 + \frac{1}{2} 9.8 (5^2)[/itex]. Please do go through each step one by one to see that this is the case.

Last edited:
Likes Calaereth
Ahmad Hossain said:
<Text removed by a mentor>

Yes, but please let Calaereth attempt it as they are the one who needs help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Calaereth
Thank you very much. This has helped me a lot. :)

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is moving through the air or space under the influence of only gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How do you find the initial velocity in projectile motion?

The initial velocity in projectile motion can be found by using the formula v0 = v - gt, where v0 is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

3. What is the difference between initial velocity and final velocity?

The initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion, while the final velocity is the velocity of an object at the end of its motion. In projectile motion, the initial velocity is typically greater than the final velocity due to the influence of gravity.

4. Can the initial velocity in projectile motion be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity in projectile motion can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction chosen for the coordinate system. For example, a projectile launched downwards would have a negative initial velocity.

5. What factors can affect the initial velocity in projectile motion?

The initial velocity in projectile motion can be affected by factors such as the angle of launch, air resistance, and the properties of the object being launched (e.g. mass, shape, etc.). These factors can alter the trajectory and final velocity of the object.