Find inner radius of hollow cylinder given inertia

In summary, a roll of toilet paper with a partially hollow cylinder shape, R2=7.0 cm, M=320 g, and I=6.0x10^(-4) kg m, mounted on an axle, initially at rest, is grabbed by a child and starts moving with constant linear acceleration. The inner radius (R1) is required to find the other parts of the question, but there may be an error in the given value of I.
alem

Homework Statement

A roll of toilet paper ( a partially hollow cylinder with R2=7.0 cm, M=320 g, I=6.0x 10 ^(-4) kg m is mounted on an axle. initially at rest, until a child grabs the end and starts running at a constant linear acceleration.

part a) what is the inner radius (R1)

Homework Equations

I know the equation for a hollow cylinder's moment of inertia is I=1/2 M (R1^2 + R2^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted all my units to S.I. units

7 cm= 0.07m
320g= 0.320kg

I rearranged the equation as
R= ({(2*I)/M} -R2^2) ^(1/2)
2 (6.0x 10^-4)=0.0012 kg m
0.0012 kg m/.320 kg= .00375m
0.00375 m-(0.07m)^2= -0.0015 m^2
I would now need to take the square-root of this number, but its a negative number. I cannot seem to find what I did wrong. and I need part a) to find the other four parts of this question. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
There is likely an error in the given value of I = 1.6*10^-4 kg.m^2. Bummer. Did you copy it down correctly?

its straight out of the worksheet. Thanks though. I will email the professor

1. What is the formula for finding the inner radius of a hollow cylinder's inertia?

The formula for finding the inner radius of a hollow cylinder's inertia is I = (m/2)(ro2 + ri2), where I is the inertia, m is the mass of the cylinder, ro is the outer radius, and ri is the inner radius.

2. How do I determine the mass of the hollow cylinder?

The mass of the hollow cylinder can be determined by using the density formula, ρ=m/V, where ρ is the density, m is the mass, and V is the volume of the cylinder. The volume of a hollow cylinder is calculated as V = πh(ro2 - ri2), where h is the height of the cylinder.

3. Can I use the same formula to find the inner radius of a solid cylinder?

No, the formula for finding the inner radius of a hollow cylinder's inertia is specific to hollow cylinders. For solid cylinders, the formula is simply I = (m/2)r2, where r is the radius of the cylinder.

4. What units should I use when plugging in values to the inertia formula?

The units for the mass should be in kilograms (kg) and the units for the radii should be in meters (m). The resulting unit for inertia will be in kilogram-meter squared (kg-m2).

5. Can I use this formula for any size hollow cylinder?

Yes, this formula can be used for any size hollow cylinder as long as the units are consistent and the correct values are plugged in. It is important to note that the formula assumes the cylinder is uniform in density and shape.