1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find inner radius of hollow cylinder given inertia

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A roll of toilet paper ( a partially hollow cylinder with R2=7.0 cm, M=320 g, I=6.0x 10 ^(-4) kg m is mounted on an axle. initially at rest, until a child grabs the end and starts running at a constant linear acceleration.

part a) what is the inner radius (R1)

2. Relevant equations

I know the equation for a hollow cylinder's moment of inertia is I=1/2 M (R1^2 + R2^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I converted all my units to S.I. units

7 cm= 0.07m
    320g= 0.320kg

I rearranged the equation as
    R= ({(2*I)/M} -R2^2) ^(1/2)
    2 (6.0x 10^-4)=0.0012 kg m
    0.0012 kg m/.320 kg= .00375m
    0.00375 m-(0.07m)^2= -0.0015 m^2
    I would now need to take the square-root of this number, but its a negative number. I cannot seem to find what I did wrong. and I need part a) to find the other four parts of this question. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is likely an error in the given value of I = 1.6*10^-4 kg.m^2. Bummer. Did you copy it down correctly?

4. Nov 19, 2011 #3
    its straight out of the worksheet. Thanks though. I will email the professor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook