Find intensity of radiating electric dipole

In summary: E and I are related by the radiation equation: E = I*sinθIn summary, the homework statement is that the intensity of radiation from a radiating electric dipole is proportional to ##\frac{sin^2\theta}{r^2}##.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

Suppose a radiating electric dipole lies along the z axis. Let ##I_1## be the intensity of the radiation at a distance of 10 m and an angle of 90 degrees. Find the intensity (in terms of ##I_1##) at (a) a distance of 30 m and an angle of 90 degrees, (b) a distance of 10 m and an angle of 45 degrees, and (c) a distance of 20 m and an angle of 30 degrees.

Homework Equations

$$Intensity=I=\frac{P_{source}}{Area}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been at a complete loss as to how to solve this. We never covered anything at all similar to this in class, and the textbook has no examples that are similar to this. The solution to this problem states that

$$I(r, \theta)~\alpha ~\frac{sin^2\theta}{r^2}$$

The 'initial conditions' given are 10 m and 90 degrees which is ##I_1##, and the solution then states that

$$I(r,\theta)=I_1~sin^2\theta~(\frac{10m}{r})^2$$

Where are they getting the factor of ##sin^2\theta## from? How does that proportionality lead them to this equation? I was trying to puzzle this out for about an hour last night, and I just spent another half hour staring at it. I feel like I'm missing something really simple right now. Any hints would be very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh! I'm apparently getting myself into too much of a rush with finals starting tomorrow. There's a note above this section in the problems.

Note: All of the problems in this section are based on the following information. Refer to figure 30-11. It can be shown that the intensity of radiation from a radiating electric dipole at a field point far from the antenna is proportional to ##\frac{sin^2\theta}{r^2}##, where ##\theta## is the angle between the electric dipole moment vector ##\vec p## and the position vector ##\vec r## of the field point relative to the enter of the antenna. The pattern of radiation from this type of antenna is independent of the azimuthal angle, that is, you can rotate the pattern about the antenna axis and it does not change shape.

Apparently I should slow down and read things first...lol

The derivation of the electric field from a dipole radiator is not trivial. One way is to start with the vector potential A for a short radiator:

E = (-1/ε) ∇ {∇* ∫A dt} - μ ∂A/∂t

where " * " signifies the dot in dot-product).
One then assumes a point at least several wavelengths away from the radiator, which simplifies the expansion you get from the above equation (I notice the problem didn't give the wavelength but assume λ << 10m or at least less than about 2 meters):

Eθ = η il sinθ/2rλ

where η = √(μ/ε)
i = radiator current = i0sin(wt)
l = length of radiator
θ = angle away from z axis towards x-y plane
r = distance away from radiator to observation point, assumed >> λ (actually, several wavelengths is already OK).

So obviously I write all this just to show you the derivation is not trivial & am not trying to help you derive it in any detail.
But now you can say that Eθ is proportional to sinθ and inversely proportional to r. So how are E and intensity I related?

What is a radiating electric dipole?

A radiating electric dipole is a pair of electric charges of equal magnitude but opposite signs, separated by a distance. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used to describe the emission and propagation of electromagnetic radiation.

How do you find the intensity of a radiating electric dipole?

To find the intensity of a radiating electric dipole, you can use the equation I = (q^2a^2ω^4)/(6πε_0c^3), where I is the intensity, q is the charge of the dipole, a is the separation distance between the charges, ω is the angular frequency, ε_0 is the permittivity of free space, and c is the speed of light. Alternatively, you can also use the dipole moment formula μ = qa, where μ is the dipole moment and q and a have the same definitions as before.

What factors affect the intensity of a radiating electric dipole?

The intensity of a radiating electric dipole is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the charges, the distance between the charges, the angular frequency of the dipole, and the properties of the medium through which the radiation is propagating, such as permittivity and conductivity.

What is the relationship between the intensity of a radiating electric dipole and the distance from the dipole?

The intensity of a radiating electric dipole is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the dipole. This means that as the distance increases, the intensity decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law and is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism.

What are some real-life applications of radiating electric dipoles?

Radiating electric dipoles have many real-life applications, including in antennas for radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication systems, and radar technology. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Additionally, radiating electric dipoles play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation, which has countless practical applications in various fields.