Find Inverse of f(x)=\frac{7e^{x}-6}{e^{x}+8}: Solve x

  • Thread starter Thread starter 7yler
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula Inverse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
7yler
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Find a formula for the inverse of f.

f(x)=[tex]\frac{7e^{x}-6}{e^{x}+8}[/tex]

I set f(x) equal to y, and operated on it until I got:

ln(y)=ln(7[tex]e^{x}-6)-ln(e^{x}+8)[/tex]

But I'm stuck. I'm not sure how to isolate x.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
7yler said:
Find a formula for the inverse of f.

f(x)=[tex]\frac{7e^{x}-6}{e^{x}+8}[/tex]

I set f(x) equal to y, and operated on it until I got:

ln(y)=ln(7[tex]e^{x}-6)-ln(e^{x}+8)[/tex]

But I'm stuck. I'm not sure how to isolate x.

[tex]y = \frac{7e^{x}-6}{e^{x}+8}[/tex]
Multiply both sides by ex + 8 to get

[tex]y(e^x + 8) = 7e^{x}-6[/tex]

Now expand the left side. Then bring all the terms that involve x to the left side, and move all the other terms to the right side.
Solve for x.

The basic idea is that if y = f(x), and f is invertible, then x = f-1(y).

That gives you the inverse function, as a function of y. To write the inverse as a function of x, simply change each occurrence of y in the formula of the inverse to an x.
 
You might simplify it before you invert rather than after . I think the RHS is

[tex]7 - \frac{62}{e^x + 8}[/tex]

Something like that anyway.