Find mass of product when given Kc, mass of reactant, but not volume

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
Knight226
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Assume that at 25 C, with AlCl3 as a catalyst, the following equilibrium can be established between the liquids cyclohexane and methylcyclopentane.
C6H12 <=> C5H9CH3HCH3
Kc = 0.143
If initially 1.00 x 10^2 g cyclohexane is present, what mass of methylcyclopentane will be present in the equilibrium mixture? (Hint: Does the volume of solution matter?)

Homework Equations



Kc = [product]/[reactant]

The Attempt at a Solution


I attempted to use ICE, but since I do not know the concentration (M) for the reactants, I do not know how to proceed.
I could get the moles of cyclohexane, but then don't I need to convert it to M?

Please advice. Thank you in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Does the Volume matter?
HINT2 : Does the mass matter? In a more abstract kinda way?

The thing is :

- moles initially of molecules (Cyclohex) = moles finally (Cyclohex + metpent)
- mass initially = mass finally
- and obviously Molecular mass of hex = Mol mass of pent
Kc=mass pentane/mass hexane=moles pentane/moles hexane.

So you end up with the amount % of hex that gets turned into pent.
 
Btw what is that:
C6H12 <=> C5H9CH3HCH3

the second isn't metylcyclopentane