Find minimum value for coefficient of static friction

In summary, the coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the maximum amount of friction force that can be generated between two surfaces before one of them starts to move. It is important to find the minimum value for the coefficient of static friction in order to determine stability and safety of objects on a surface, as well as in engineering and design. This minimum value can be determined by measuring the angle of repose, which is affected by factors such as the nature and roughness of the surfaces, weight of the object, and presence of lubricants or adhesives. To increase the minimum value for coefficient of static friction, one can increase the roughness of the surfaces, weight of the object, or decrease the presence of lubricants
PAstudent

Homework Statement

upload_2015-9-24_20-28-15.png

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering if anyone could verify that I have all the correct vectors or if I am missing any. I just wanted to check before I started trying to derive the equations.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
The directions of FT1 and FT2 do not appear to be correct in the first and third diagrams. Are the x-axes in those two diagrams parallel to the inclines?

Yes

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the maximum amount of friction force that can be generated between two surfaces in contact before one of the surfaces starts to move.

2. Why is it important to find the minimum value for coefficient of static friction?

Finding the minimum value for the coefficient of static friction is important because it helps determine the stability and safety of objects on a surface. It is also crucial in engineering and design to ensure that structures and machines can operate without slipping or sliding.

3. How is the minimum value for coefficient of static friction determined?

The minimum value for coefficient of static friction is determined by measuring the angle at which an object starts to slide on a surface. This angle is known as the angle of repose and can be used to calculate the coefficient of static friction using trigonometric functions.

4. What factors affect the minimum value for coefficient of static friction?

The minimum value for coefficient of static friction can be affected by various factors, including the nature and roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the presence of any lubricants or adhesives.

5. How can the minimum value for coefficient of static friction be increased?

The minimum value for coefficient of static friction can be increased by increasing the roughness of the surfaces in contact, increasing the weight of the object, or decreasing the presence of any lubricants or adhesives. Additionally, increasing the normal force between the two surfaces can also increase the coefficient of static friction.