What is the real part of z when given 1/z = 1/R + 1/(iωL)?

• Thread starter whatisreality
  • Start date
In summary, To find the real part of z, we rearrange the given equation to get z = R + iωL. However, in order to separate the real and imaginary parts, we need to have a real denominator. Therefore, we multiply the fraction by its complex conjugate, which is (R - iωL). This results in z = (RiwL) / (iwL + R), and using the difference of two squares formula, we can simplify this to z = (RiwL) / (R2 + ω2L2).
whatisreality

Homework Statement

Find the real part of z, given that 1/z = 1/R + 1/(iωL)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged to find z, and got that z = R + iωL. So that would make the Re(z)=R, wouldn't it?? It's wrong, but I don't have a clue why!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you rearranged, you got the wrong result. Can you show working for that please?
(You can't just turn all the fractions upside down.)

Last edited:
Ohhhhh soooo stupid... forgot to multiply the LHS when finding a common denominator.

Actually, hang on... here's the rearrangement.

1/z = 1/R + 1/(iwL) Multiply by R:

R/z = 1 + R/(iwL) Multiply by iwL:

RiwL/z = iwL + R

So z = (RiwL) / (iwL + R)?? There's clearly something wrong but I can't see what... Do I need to realize the denominator?

whatisreality said:
So z = (RiwL) / (iwL + R)?? ...
That's true, but you're asked to find Re(z). You can use this useful identity that comes up a lot in electrical engineering:
$$
z = \frac{z \overline{z}}{\overline{z}} = \frac{|z|^2}{\overline{z}}
$$
Along with:
$$
\mathrm{Re}\!\left(\frac{1}{\overline{z}}\right) = \mathrm{Re}\!\left(\frac{1}{z}\right)
$$

Last edited:
Yep. Fine so far. You're quite right - what is wrong is that you still can't separate the Re and I am parts.

Miles has put something above (which I don't understand) and if that helps you, great.

For me, the next step is just plain maths, nothing to do with electronics. If you want to separate this expression into Re & Im, you need to have a real denominator and the standard maths 'trick' is to multiply a complex denominator by its complex conjugate.

Every complex number has a conjugate and when you multiply it by the conjugate you get a real number - the i's disappear.
Any fraction can be multiplied by 1 (or x/x since anything divided by itself is 1), so you multiply your fraction by conjugate/conjugate
Now the conjugate is dead simple: conjugate of A + iB is A - iB or conjugate of C - iD is C + iD (negate the I am part)
So you need to multiply your z expression by (R - iωL ) / ( R - iωL)

And just to complete the maths, remember the difference of two squares,
x2 - y2 = (x-y)(x+y)
So (A + iB)(A - iB) = A2 - (i)2B2
= A2 - (-1)B2
= A2 + B2

Related to What is the real part of z when given 1/z = 1/R + 1/(iωL)?

1. What is the real part of z?

The real part of z, denoted as Re(z), is the horizontal component of a complex number z in the form of a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. It represents the distance of the complex number from the origin on the real number line.

2. How do you solve for the real part of z?

To solve for the real part of z, simply take the real number a in the form of a + bi. The real part is always the first number in a complex number and can also be found by using the formula Re(z) = (z + z*)/2, where z* is the complex conjugate of z.

3. Can the real part of z be negative?

Yes, the real part of z can be negative. This means that the complex number is located on the left side of the imaginary axis on the complex plane.

4. How does the real part of z affect the complex number?

The real part of z affects the position of the complex number on the complex plane. It determines the distance of the complex number from the origin on the real number line and can also affect the magnitude and direction of the complex number.

5. What is the significance of solving for the real part of z?

Solving for the real part of z is important in understanding the properties and behavior of complex numbers. It is also necessary in many applications of complex numbers in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.