Find Speed of 65kg Diver Diving off 10m Tower

• Thread starter Amelina Yoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    speed
In summary, the problem involves a 65kg diver diving off a 10m tower and asking for their speed upon hitting the water. To solve this, an equation involving gravity and distance traveled can be used.
Amelina Yoo

Homework Statement

65kg diver dives off 10m tower. What is the divers speed on hitting the water?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start. When I solve for one variable using an equation, I find that there is a variable within that equation that is yet to be found.

Thank you for any help :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Amelina Yoo said:

Homework Statement

65kg diver dives off 10m tower. What is the divers speed on hitting the water?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start. When I solve for one variable using an equation, I find that there is a variable within that equation that is yet to be found.

Thank you for any help :-)
Instead of worrying about extraneous variables, concentrate on what equation you would use to calculate the speed of the diver after he falls 10 m.

You know, something involving gravity and distance traveled.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a 65kg diver diving off a 10m tower?

The speed of a diver can be calculated using the formula: speed = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) and h is the height of the tower (10m).

2. What is the average speed of a 65kg diver diving off a 10m tower?

The average speed of a diver is dependent on various factors such as the initial velocity and the drag force experienced during the dive. However, assuming the diver has no initial velocity and negligible drag force, the average speed can be calculated using the formula: average speed = (initial velocity + final velocity) / 2.

3. How does the height of the tower affect the speed of the diver?

The height of the tower directly affects the speed of the diver as it determines the initial potential energy of the diver before the dive. The higher the tower, the greater the potential energy and therefore the higher the speed of the diver.

4. Is the weight of the diver a factor in calculating their speed?

Yes, the weight of the diver is a factor in calculating their speed. The formula for speed (speed = √(2gh)) includes the mass of the diver (m) in the calculation, where m is the weight of the diver in kilograms.

5. How can the speed of the diver be measured experimentally?

The speed of the diver can be measured experimentally using various methods such as video analysis, radar guns, or timing devices. These methods involve recording the time it takes for the diver to reach the water and using the distance (10m) to calculate the speed using the formula: speed = distance / time.