Find the angular velocity of the Absolute Motion System

In summary: Also, if you choose x pointing to the right as positive with b pointing up, then ##\theta## is a decreasing function of time so ##\theta' < 0## and ##\theta'' < 0##.In summary, the problem involves determining the angular velocity of link AB, given a constant acceleration a to the right starting from rest with x essentially zero. Using the equations w = θ', α = θ'', Pythagoras and trig, and the derivatives of x, it is possible to find the value of θ', which can then be used to solve for the angular velocity. The final answer will depend on the chosen positive directions.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Point A is given a constant acceleration a to the right starting from rest with x essentially zero. Determine the angular velocity w of link AB in terms of x and a.

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations

w = θ'

α = θ''

Pythagoras and trig

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 2bcos(θ)

x' = -2bθ'sin(θ)

x'' = -2bθ''sin(θ)-2bθ'2cos(θ)

a = -2bαsin(θ) - 2bw2cos(θ)

I know that bsin(θ) = √b2-x2/4

and I know that bcos(θ) = x/2

Substituting these is

a = -2α√b2-x2/4 - 2w2x/2

After here is where I get stuck. I'm not sure how to deal with the angular acceleration α. I can see that I have part of the final answer (shown in the image) but I'm not sure about the last few steps.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• dyn 5-30.png
    dyn 5-30.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 962
Physics news on Phys.org
Northbysouth said:
x' = -2bθ'sin(θ)

Maybe you can get θ' from this. But you'll need to find x' in terms of x and a.

Looking at the problem again, I had thought that maybe I could use

x' = V0 + at

where V0 is zero, but this introduces another unknown. Am I over thinking this?

Ahh, wait. I got it. I was overthinking it. I only needed to take the first derivative. From there I can solve for θ'

θ' = -x'/2bsin(θ)

Knowing that a is constant I can use:

x' = v

v2 = v02 + 2ax

where v0 = 0

plug in √2ax for x'

Then i can also see that 2bcos(θ) = √4b2-x2

Cheers for your help TSny

But I still have a negative in my final answer which shouldn't be there...

Last edited:
The signs are going to depend on your choice of positive directions. If you choose counterclockwise as positive ##\omega##, then note that ##\omega = -\dot{\theta}##.

FAQ: Find the angular velocity of the Absolute Motion System

1. What is the Absolute Motion System?

The Absolute Motion System is a scientific concept used to describe the absolute velocity and angular velocity of an object in space. It takes into account the motion of an object relative to an absolute reference frame, rather than just its motion relative to other objects.

2. How is angular velocity defined in the Absolute Motion System?

Angular velocity in the Absolute Motion System is defined as the rate of change of an object's angular displacement with respect to time. It is measured in radians per second and is a crucial factor in determining the rotational motion of an object.

3. How do you calculate the angular velocity in the Absolute Motion System?

The angular velocity in the Absolute Motion System can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the distance between the object and the point of rotation.

4. Why is it important to measure the angular velocity in the Absolute Motion System?

Measuring the angular velocity in the Absolute Motion System is important because it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects in space. It is particularly useful in fields such as astronomy, where the rotation of celestial bodies can provide valuable information about their composition and behavior.

5. Can the angular velocity in the Absolute Motion System change over time?

Yes, the angular velocity in the Absolute Motion System can change over time. This can happen due to various factors, such as changes in the object's mass or distance from the point of rotation, or the influence of external forces. It is important to continuously measure and track the angular velocity to understand the dynamics of an object's motion.