Find the anti derivative of f'(x)= (2+x^2)/(1+x^2)

• Thread starter skyturnred
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about finding f(x) given f'(x) = (2+x^2)/(1+x^2). The person suggests using integration by parts, but the original poster is unsure if they have learned it yet. The conversation then discusses two possible approaches to solving the problem.
skyturnred

Homework Statement

f'(x)= (2+x^2)/(1+x^2), find f(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure you have to use integration by parts... but I don't think we learned it yet. Is there a way to do this without using integration by parts? If not, how would I use integration by parts for his question?

Physics news on Phys.org
skyturnred said:

Homework Statement

f'(x)= (2+x^2)/(1+x^2), find f(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure you have to use integration by parts... but I don't think we learned it yet. Is there a way to do this without using integration by parts? If not, how would I use integration by parts for his question?

Well, [itex]\frac{2+x^2}{1+x^2} = \frac{2}{1+x^2}+\frac{x^2}{1+x^2}[/itex]

If you know what the integral of [itex]\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/itex] is, the first part is easy. The second part is simple as well, if you recognize what to do first before integrating.

gb7nash said:
Well, [itex]\frac{2+x^2}{1+x^2} = \frac{2}{1+x^2}+\frac{x^2}{1+x^2}[/itex]

If you know what the integral of [itex]\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/itex] is, the first part is easy. The second part is simple as well, if you recognize what to do first before integrating.

You could also write [tex] \frac{2+x^2}{1+x^2} = 1 + \frac{1}{1+x^2}. [/tex]

RGV

Thank you to both of you for your help, both of you helped me solve this and other similar questions.

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the reverse process of differentiation. It is a function that, when differentiated, will give the original function as its result.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of a function?

To find the antiderivative of a function, you need to use integration techniques. For this specific function, the antiderivative can be found by using the substitution method or the power rule.

3. What is the power rule?

The power rule states that the antiderivative of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1), where n is any real number except for -1. This can be applied to find the antiderivative of the given function.

4. Can the antiderivative of a function have multiple solutions?

Yes, the antiderivative of a function can have multiple solutions. This is because when we differentiate a function, we lose some information about the function, so there can be multiple functions that could have given the same derivative.

5. What is the antiderivative of f'(x)= (2+x^2)/(1+x^2)?

The antiderivative of f'(x)= (2+x^2)/(1+x^2) is arctan(x) + 2x. This can be verified by differentiating the answer and getting the original function as the result.