Find the correct frequency so two waves are in phase

In summary: That is,Δψ = n*2π = 0, 2π, 4π, ...In summary, a man sitting between two speakers, 5 meters from the first and 6.5 meters from the second, will hear both sounds in phase when the phase difference between the two speakers is a whole number of cycles. This can be determined using the equation Δψ = n*2π = 0, 2π, 4π, ..., where Δψ is the phase difference, n is the number of cycles, and λ is the wavelength of the sound waves.
Jalo

Homework Statement

A man is sitting between two speakers, 5 meters from the first and 6.5 meters away from the second.

Speaker 1~~~~~~(6.5m) ~~~~~~ Man ~~~~ (5m) ~~~~ Speaker 2

They both create sound waves in phase. What's the lowest frequency for which the man hears both sounds in phase?
The velocity of sound is 340m/s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We have two speakers. Speaker 1 is positioned at x = 0, creating waves with a phase of
ϕ1(x,t) = kx - wt
propagating in the positive direction.
Speaker 2 is positioned at x = 11.5, emiting waves with a phase
ϕ2(x,t) = kx + wt
which propagate in the negative direction.

The man is sitting at x=6.5.
We know that both speakers emit in phase, therefore for any given instant t we have:
ϕ1(0,t) = ϕ2(11.5,t)

We also want the man to receive both waves in phase, therefore:
ϕ1(6.5,t) = ϕ2(6.5,t)

If we solve this equations we'll get:
ϕ1(0,t) = ϕ2(11.5,t) ⇔ 0*x - w*t = 11.5*k + wt ⇔ 2*wt = -11.5k
ϕ1(6.5,t) = ϕ2(6.5,t) ⇔ 6.5k - wt = 6.5k + wt ⇔ wt = 0

The result doesn't make any sense. I've probably assumed something wrongly, but I can't quite figure out what. If anyone could point my logic's holes I'd appreciate.

Thanks.
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
Jalo said:

Homework Statement

A man is sitting between two speakers, 5 meters from the first and 6.5 meters away from the second.

Speaker 1~~~~~~(6.5m) ~~~~~~ Man ~~~~ (5m) ~~~~ Speaker 2

They both create sound waves in phase. What's the lowest frequency for which the man hears both sounds in phase?
The velocity of sound is 340m/s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Snip..

Jesus !
Such a long solution ?

Why do you not use,

Δψ=2π*Δx/λ

In phase can be when there is constructive interference. In this case, what will be phase difference, Δψ ?

sankalpmittal said:
Jesus !
Such a long solution ?

Why do you not use,

Δψ=2π*Δx/λ

In phase can be when there is constructive interference. In this case, what will be phase difference, Δψ ?

I'm afraid I did not understand your answer. If Δψ is the phase difference then it will be zero, since both waves must arrive with the same phase. Therefore Δψ = 0 = 2π*Δx/λ , which can't be true.

Jalo said:
I'm afraid I did not understand your answer. If Δψ is the phase difference then it will be zero, since both waves must arrive with the same phase. Therefore Δψ = 0 = 2π*Δx/λ , which can't be true.
"In phase" only requires that the phase difference is a whole number of cycles.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of phase and how it relates to the position of the speakers and the man. However, there are a few errors in your calculations.

Firstly, the equations for phase that you have written should be ϕ1(x,t) = kx - ωt and ϕ2(x,t) = kx + ωt, where ω is the angular frequency (ω = 2πf). This is because the phase is a function of both position and time.

Secondly, when solving for the lowest frequency, we need to consider the difference in distance between the man and each speaker. Therefore, the equations for phase should be ϕ1(5,t) = ϕ2(6.5,t), since the man is 5 meters from the first speaker and 6.5 meters from the second speaker.

Solving these equations, we get:
ϕ1(5,t) = ϕ2(6.5,t) ⇔ 5k - ωt = 6.5k + ωt ⇔ 1.5k = 2ωt
Substituting ω = 2πf, we get:
1.5k = 4πft
Solving for f, we get:
f = 1.5k/(4πt)

Using the velocity of sound (v = 340m/s), we can find the value of k:
k = ω/v = (2πf)/v = (2π*1.5k)/(4πt*v) = 3/4vt

Substituting this value of k into the equation for frequency, we get:
f = 1.5*(3/4vt)/(4πt) = 3/(16πt^2)

Therefore, the lowest frequency for which the man hears both sounds in phase is 3/(16πt^2) Hz.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Keep up the good work!

Best,

Related to Find the correct frequency so two waves are in phase

1. What is the meaning of two waves being in phase?

When two waves are in phase, it means that their crests and troughs align perfectly and they have the same frequency and wavelength. This results in constructive interference, where the amplitude of the combined wave is the sum of the individual waves.

2. How do you find the correct frequency for two waves to be in phase?

To find the correct frequency for two waves to be in phase, you need to use the equation f = v/λ, where f is the frequency, v is the speed of the wave, and λ is the wavelength. Make sure to use the same units for all variables.

3. What is the relationship between phase and frequency?

The relationship between phase and frequency is that they are directly proportional. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, the phase also increases.

4. Can two waves with different frequencies be in phase?

No, two waves with different frequencies cannot be in phase. In order for two waves to be in phase, they must have the same frequency and wavelength. If the frequencies are different, the waves will eventually go out of phase and produce destructive interference.

5. How does the phase shift affect the relationship between two waves?

The phase shift, which is the difference in the starting point of two waves, affects the relationship between the waves by determining whether they are in phase or not. If the phase shift is 0 degrees, the waves are in phase and produce constructive interference. If the phase shift is 180 degrees, the waves are out of phase and produce destructive interference.