Find the current through and the potential difference of resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current and potential difference in a circuit with various resistors. The solution involves using Ohm's law and the formula for series and parallel combination of resistances to find the total resistance, current through each resistor, and potential difference across each resistor. The conversation also mentions finding the current in each branch of the circuit by using the total potential difference across the circuit.
rayhan619

Homework Statement

For the circuit shown in the figure, find the current through and the potential difference across each resistor. (Figure attached)
a) Find the current through 4.0 ohm resistor.
b) Find the potential difference across 4.0 Ohm resistor.

Homework Equations

V = IR
Q = VC

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 4,060
Physics news on Phys.org

So how far have you gotten on your own?

so the current through 4.0 ohm resistor, I = V/R = 24 V/4 Ohm = 6 A
and the potential difference ?

Using formula for series and parallel combination of resistances find the total resistance of the circuit.

If i did it right then the total resistance should be 12 Ohm
So I = V/R= 24 V/ 12 Ohm = 2 A.
Right ?
how do I get potential difference?

2A is the current through 4 ohm. Find potential difference by using V = IR.

V = IR = 2A*4 Ohm = 8 V

Next question,
Find the current through 6.0 {Ohm resistor.

Potential difference across 4 ohm resistor is 8V.
What is the pd across remaining circuit? From that find the current in each branch of the circuit.

1. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the flow of electrical current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material with high resistance, such as carbon, and is designed to dissipate energy in the form of heat.

2. How do you calculate the current through a resistor?

To calculate the current through a resistor, you can use Ohm's law, which states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation I = V/R. The unit of current is amperes (A).

3. What factors affect the current through a resistor?

The current through a resistor is affected by the voltage applied across it, as well as the resistance of the resistor. Additionally, the temperature, material, and length of the resistor can also affect the current.

4. How do you calculate the potential difference across a resistor?

The potential difference, also known as voltage, across a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law. You would take the product of the current through the resistor and the resistance itself. This can be represented by the equation V = I x R. The unit of potential difference is volts (V).

5. How does the current through a resistor change in a series vs. parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the current through each resistor is the same, while in a parallel circuit, the current is divided between the resistors based on their individual resistances. This means that the total current in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the currents through each resistor, while the total current in a parallel circuit is equal to the total resistance divided by the sum of the individual resistances.