Find the distance the particle travels

• Thread starter ProBasket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the particle's velocity is given by v(t)=t^2e^{-3t} meters per second after t seconds. To find the distance traveled during the first t seconds, we can integrate the velocity function, but we must also determine the integration constant by setting the initial distance to 0. The correct function for the distance traveled is -1/27*e^{-3t}(9t^2+6t+2)+C, where C is the integration constant determined by the initial condition.
ProBasket
A particle that moves along a straight line has velocity [tex]v(t)=t^2e^{-3t}[/tex] meters per second after t seconds. Find the distance the particle travels during the first t seconds.

________________meters (Your answer should be a function of [tex]t[/tex])

shouldnt i just integrate that velocity function? cause if you integrate velocity, you get distance right? well i did, but got the wrong answer. here's my answer:

[tex]-1/27*e^{-3t}(9t^2+6t+2)[/tex]

i also used math programs to integrate the problem just to make i didnt make any mistakes, but it still won't take my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both your method and your answer look correct to me.

EDIT: Vincentchan is absolutely correct. Choose C so that x(t=0)=0.

Last edited:
wrong

the correct one is:
[tex]-1/27*e^{-3t}(9t^2+6t+2)+C[/tex]

now you need to determine C by the initial condition... (what is the distance travels when t = 0?)

vincentchan said:
wrong

the correct one is:
[tex]-1/27*e^{-3t}(9t^2+6t+2)+C[/tex]

now you need to determine C by the initial condition... (what is the distance travels when t = 0?)

so are you telling me to plug in 0 for t? if so, i did and got -0.074074 and it was wrong.

ProBasket said:
so are you telling me to plug in 0 for t? if so, i did and got -0.074074 and it was wrong.

The thing wrong with your answer: [tex]-1/27*e^{-3t}(9t^2+6t+2)[/tex] is that it says that at time t=0 you have traveled -2/27 m. This is because you (and I) forgot the integration constant. You can use this to fix your initial conditions.

Now if at time t=0 you indeed traveled -2/27m you inegration constant can be set zero and your iniial answer is correct. But as it asks for the distance traveled at time t, thi has to be zero at t=0. So choose your integration constant such that x(t=0)=0.

What is the definition of distance?

Distance is the measurement of the space between two points or objects.

How do you calculate the distance traveled by a particle?

The distance traveled by a particle can be calculated by multiplying the velocity of the particle by the time it travels for.

What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the straight line distance between the starting point and ending point of the object's motion.

Can the distance a particle travels be negative?

No, distance is always a positive value as it is a measurement of length and cannot be negative.

What are the units of distance?

The units of distance can vary depending on the system of measurement being used. In the metric system, distance is measured in meters (m), while in the imperial system, it is measured in feet (ft) or miles (mi).