Find the eigenfrequencies for systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations (M + m) \ddot x + m l \ddot\theta - ml \dot\theta ^2\theta = 0 and \ddot\theta + \frac{\ddot x}{l} + \frac{g}{l}\theta = 0, and the difficulty in finding the correct forms of x(t) and theta(t). The possibility of solving the equations by substituting x = X*sin(omega*t) and theta = Theta*sin(omega*t) is mentioned, but it is also noted that dropping the theta-dot^2 term may not be a reliable approach without a physical justification.
roeb

Homework Statement

[tex] (M + m) \ddot x + m l \ddot\theta - ml \dot\theta ^2\theta = 0[/tex]

[tex]\ddot\theta + \frac{\ddot x}{l} + \frac{g}{l}\theta = 0[/tex]

I am not quite sure how to get a x(t) and theta(t) that actually fit for these equations...
For the second equation, I was thinking something like
x(t) = At^2 + Bt+C
theta(t) = Dt^2 + Et + C, but of course that doesn't work.

I know how to find the eigenfrequencies for systems that say have a Ae^(iwt) term in them, but for something like this, I have no idea... If I could get the correct forms of x(t) and theta(t) I think I could probably find them, but I am a bit lost in how to get the forms for something like this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would think in terms of trying to cast this as a matrix eigenproblem, but that last term in the first equation somewhat messes things up with the theta-dot^2 factor. Are you sure you have this written correctly?

Thanks for your reply.
It is written correctly; however, I *may* (not positive but upon thinking about it..) be able to say that the theta-dot^2 term is small so that it is effectively zero...
[tex]
(M + m) \ddot x + m l \ddot\theta = 0
[/tex]
[tex]
\ddot\theta + \frac{\ddot x}{l} + \frac{g}{l}\theta = 0
[/tex]

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure how to proceed even if this were the case. I am not familiar exactly with matrix eigenproblems.

If this were a pure math problem I suppose I would do something like
(A-I*lambda)x = 0 but since I don't have the system of equations in terms of x(t) and theta(t) I'm not quite sure what to do.

Last edited:

"...since I don't have the system of equations in terms of x(t) and theta(t) I'm not quite sure what to do." But if you were to substitute x = X*sin(omega*t) and theta = Theta*sin(omega*t), then you would have such a system.

But dropping that theta-dot^2 term seems shaky unless you have some physical argument for it.

Related to Find the eigenfrequencies for systems

1. What is the concept of eigenfrequencies?

The concept of eigenfrequencies refers to the natural frequencies at which a system will vibrate or oscillate when disturbed. These frequencies are determined by the characteristics of the system, such as its mass, stiffness, and damping.

2. How are eigenfrequencies calculated?

Eigenfrequencies can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the properties of the system, such as its mass and stiffness. These equations can be solved to determine the natural frequencies of the system.

3. What is the significance of eigenfrequencies in systems?

Eigenfrequencies are important because they can tell us how a system will respond to external forces. By understanding the eigenfrequencies of a system, we can predict its behavior and make necessary adjustments to improve its performance.

4. Can eigenfrequencies be changed?

Yes, eigenfrequencies can be changed by altering the properties of the system. For example, increasing the stiffness of a structure will result in higher eigenfrequencies, while increasing the mass will lower them.

5. How are eigenfrequencies used in real-world applications?

Eigenfrequencies are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and music. In engineering, they are used to design and analyze structures and machines. In physics, they are used to study the behavior of systems, such as atoms and molecules. In music, they are used to tune instruments and create harmonious sounds.