1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the eigenfrequencies for systems

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] (M + m) \ddot x + m l \ddot\theta - ml \dot\theta ^2\theta = 0[/tex]

[tex]\ddot\theta + \frac{\ddot x}{l} + \frac{g}{l}\theta = 0[/tex]

I am not quite sure how to get a x(t) and theta(t) that actually fit for these equations...
    For the second equation, I was thinking something like
    x(t) = At^2 + Bt+C
    theta(t) = Dt^2 + Et + C, but of course that doesn't work.

I know how to find the eigenfrequencies for systems that say have a Ae^(iwt) term in them, but for something like this, I have no idea... If I could get the correct forms of x(t) and theta(t) I think I could probably find them, but I am a bit lost in how to get the forms for something like this.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2
    Re: Eigenfrequency

I would think in terms of trying to cast this as a matrix eigenproblem, but that last term in the first equation somewhat messes things up with the theta-dot^2 factor. Are you sure you have this written correctly?

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3

Thanks for your reply.
    It is written correctly; however, I *may* (not positive but upon thinking about it..) be able to say that the theta-dot^2 term is small so that it is effectively zero...
    [tex]
    (M + m) \ddot x + m l \ddot\theta = 0
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \ddot\theta + \frac{\ddot x}{l} + \frac{g}{l}\theta = 0
    [/tex]

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure how to proceed even if this were the case. I am not familiar exactly with matrix eigenproblems.

If this were a pure math problem I suppose I would do something like
    (A-I*lambda)x = 0 but since I don't have the system of equations in terms of x(t) and theta(t) I'm not quite sure what to do.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  5. Mar 10, 2009 #4

"...since I don't have the system of equations in terms of x(t) and theta(t) I'm not quite sure what to do." But if you were to substitute x = X*sin(omega*t) and theta = Theta*sin(omega*t), then you would have such a system.

But dropping that theta-dot^2 term seems shaky unless you have some physical argument for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook