Find the equilibrium position for a -5.0 nC charge.

In summary, the problem involves finding the equilibrium position for a -5.0 nC charge placed 40.80 cm from a 2.9 nC charge and a 5.8 nC charge. Using the equation F = qE, where F is the net force, q is the charge, and E is the electric field, we can find the net force on the -5.0 nC charge and determine the equilibrium position. The superposition principle can also be used to find the net electric field at any point in space due to two point charges. It is recommended to study the concept of equilibrium and refer to a textbook for further help. Leo is currently unable to help as he is on a temporary vacation from
Leo34005

Homework Statement

A charge of 2.9 nC and a charge of 5.8 nC are separated by 40.80 cm. Find the equilibrium position for a -5.0 nC charge.

? cm from the 2.9 nC charge.

Homework Equations

ac9b5e097f2acd8cf7f979d7390ce98c.png

The Attempt at a Solution

F = 2.9/5.8NC/ 4(40.80)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint (1): What must the net force acting on the -5nC charge be in order for it to be in equilibrium?

Hint (2): If a point charge [itex]q[/itex] is placed at a point where the net electric field from all other charges is [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex], what is the force [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] on [itex]q[/itex]?

Hint (3): What does the superposition principle tell you about finding the net electric field at any point in space due to two point charges?

Not sure, mind helping me here?

If you can't answer those 3 questions, you need to study your textbook. Start by looking up "equilibrium".

Can i please have an answer so i can check if my answer is wrong or right?

Leo34005 said:
Can i please have an answer so i can check if my answer is wrong or right?

No, but if you post your answer we can tell you whether it's right or wrong, and even better, if you show your work and explain your reasoning we can point out the source of any errors you are making.

Leo is now on a temporary vacation from the PF because of repeatedly refusing to show work in homework threads.

1. What is an equilibrium position?

An equilibrium position is a point in space where the net force acting on an object is zero, meaning there is no acceleration and the object remains at rest.

2. How is the equilibrium position calculated?

The equilibrium position is calculated by setting the net force equation equal to zero and solving for the variable. In the case of a -5.0 nC charge, the equilibrium position can be found by setting the electrostatic force equation equal to zero and solving for the distance from the charge.

3. Does the magnitude of the charge affect the equilibrium position?

Yes, the magnitude of the charge does affect the equilibrium position. In general, the greater the magnitude of the charge, the farther away the equilibrium position will be from the charge.

4. Can the equilibrium position change for a given charge?

Yes, the equilibrium position can change if the surrounding conditions change. For example, if another charge is introduced into the system, the equilibrium position may shift.

5. What is the significance of finding the equilibrium position for a charge?

Finding the equilibrium position for a charge can help us understand the behavior of electric charges in a given system. It can also be used to determine the stability of an object or system in the presence of electric forces.