Find the magnitude and direction of a magnetic field(Biort-Savart Law)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field produced at a point P by a current path in the shape of an arc. Using the equation B=\frac{\mu_{0}I \theta}{4\pi\,a} and given values of the current, angle, and radius, the resulting magnetic field is 1.0472E-6 Tesla. The book wants the answer in nT, which is equivalent to dividing the result by 10^9, giving a final answer of .0010472 nano Tesla.
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

A current path shaped as shown in the figure(I included the picture at the end of post) produces a magnetic field at P, the center of the arc. If the arc subtends an angle of θ = 60.0° and the radius of the arc is 0.400 m, what are the magnitude and direction of the field produced at P if the current is 4.00 A?

Homework Equations

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_{0}I \theta}{4\pi\,a}[/tex]

It's straight from the book. And I know it's relevance due to the shape I'm dealing with.

The Attempt at a Solution

Doing that calculation I get an answer of 1.0472E-6 Tesla. The book wants the answer in nT, which I assume to be nano Tesla. I figure I need to move the decimal point three spaces. Giving me a result of .0010472 nano Tesla. The book, well, webassign is telling me this is wrong. I'll try to get the picture in here if I can get it to work.

What I substituted into the equation shown above is the following:

[tex]\mu_0=4\pi * 10^{-7}[/tex]
I= 4A
[tex]\theta=\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]
a=0.4m

I noticed a discrepancy between the angle shown in the drawing and the one given in the problem, but I think it's a matter of webassign directly taking the drawing from the book and placing it here. The problem in the book does have an angle of 30 degrees, but webassign randomizes the given numbers. Meaning that I don't think the drawing's angle reflects my given numbers.

I don't see what I am doing wrong. The image of the problem is number two by the way.

ME7rb.png

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Doing that calculation I get an answer of 1.0472E-6 Tesla.
The book wants the answer in nT, which I assume to be nano Tesla.
I figure I need to move the decimal point three spaces. Giving me a
result of .0010472 nano Tesla. "

If your high is 1.7 m and somebody wants it in cm-s, you would say that you are 0.017 cm high, as you needed to move the decimal point by two?

Your first result 1.0472E-6 T is correct. And 1 T=109 nT. Do you get a smaller or higher number if you give the result in smaller units?

ehild

How could I be so dense? It hit me like a train.

Thank you good madame/sir!

1. How is the magnetic field calculated using the Biort-Savart Law?

The magnetic field can be calculated using the Biort-Savart Law, which states that the magnitude of the magnetic field at a certain point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the current-carrying wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point. The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the current direction and can be determined using the right-hand rule.

2. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is affected by the amount of current passing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the angle between the wire and the point where the magnetic field is being measured. The magnetic field also depends on the type of material the wire is made of, as some materials have higher magnetic permeability than others.

3. Can the Biort-Savart Law be used for any shape of current-carrying wire?

Yes, the Biort-Savart Law can be used for any shape of current-carrying wire, as long as the shape can be broken down into small segments. The law can also be applied to non-straight wires, such as curved or circular wires, by breaking them down into smaller straight segments and calculating the magnetic field at each segment.

4. How accurate is the Biort-Savart Law in calculating magnetic fields?

The Biort-Savart Law is a mathematical approximation and may not give exact results in all cases. However, it is a very accurate method for calculating magnetic fields for simple and symmetric systems. For more complex systems, numerical methods may be used for a more precise calculation of the magnetic field.

5. What is the significance of the Biort-Savart Law in modern science?

The Biort-Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism and has numerous applications in modern science and technology. It is used in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and medicine. It is also the basis for understanding the behavior of electric motors, generators, and other electromagnetic devices.