Find the Maximum Height of an Inverted Garbage Can Suspended by a Geyser

In summary: N.In summary, the water shoots up the ground with speed 20m/s, at a constant rate 0.5kg/s, and the maximum height at which the garbage can rides is 17m.
Buffu

Homework Statement

An inverted garbage can of weight ##W## is suspended in air by water from a geyser. The water shoots up the ground with speed ##v_0##, at a constant rate ##dm/dt##. The problem is to find the maximum height at which garbage can rides.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose the garbage can is at its highest position ##h##.

Then the velocity of elementary mass ##\Delta m## just before collision with the can would be ##\sqrt{v_0^2 - 2gh}## and velocity after collision would be zero.

So change in momentum would be ##\Delta P = - \Delta m \sqrt{v_0^2 - 2gh}##

Or the force on the can would be ##F = \sqrt{v_0^2 - 2gh} \dfrac{dm}{dt}##

Since the forces on the can is balanced, therefore ##W = \sqrt{v_0^2 - 2gh} \dfrac{dm}{dt}##,

Solving for ##h## I got ##\displaystyle h = \dfrac{1}{2g}\left(v_0^2 - \left(W \over \dfrac{dm}{dt}\right)^2 \right)##

This is incorrect.

Where am I incorrect ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Buffu said:
This is incorrect.
It all looks right to me. Do you know what the answer is supposed to be?

Buffu said:
velocity after collision would be zero.

So where does the water go ?

Nidum said:
So where does the water go ?
It falls. I do not see any basis for claiming that the water bounces off the bucket, or in any other way makes a greater contribution to supporting it. The bucket could be significantly wider than the jet.

haruspex said:
It all looks right to me. Do you know what the answer is supposed to be?

A clue was given; if ##v_0 = 20m/s##, ##W = 10 kg##, ##dm/dt = 0.5 kg/s## then ##h = 17 m##.

These values does not match when I put it into my formula :(.

@Nidum It falls down under gravity.

Buffu said:
A clue was given; if ##v_0 = 20m/s##, ##W = 10 kg##, ##dm/dt = 0.5 kg/s## then ##h = 17 m##.

These values does not match when I put it into my formula :(.

@Nidum It falls down under gravity.
I assume you mean W=10N.
That answer is clearly wrong. 20m/s is the speed at which the water needs to be moving when it reaches the bucket.
If you use g=9.8m/s2 and v0=27m/s it works out quite accurately to 17m.

Likes Buffu

1. How does the height of the geyser affect the maximum height of the inverted garbage can?

The height of the geyser directly affects the maximum height of the inverted garbage can. A taller geyser will provide more force and therefore, launch the garbage can higher.

2. Is the shape or size of the garbage can important in determining the maximum height?

The shape and size of the garbage can do play a role in determining the maximum height. A larger and more aerodynamic can will have a higher maximum height compared to a smaller or less aerodynamic can.

3. Does the weight of the garbage can impact the maximum height?

Yes, the weight of the garbage can does have an impact on the maximum height. A heavier can will require more force from the geyser to reach the same height as a lighter can.

4. What other factors besides the geyser and garbage can can affect the maximum height?

The surrounding environment, such as wind and air resistance, can also affect the maximum height of the inverted garbage can. Additionally, the angle at which the can is launched and the temperature of the geyser water can also play a role.

5. How can I calculate the maximum height of the inverted garbage can suspended by a geyser?

The maximum height can be calculated using the equations of motion, taking into account factors such as the initial velocity, gravity, and air resistance. It may also be helpful to conduct experiments with different variables, such as geyser height and can weight, to determine the relationship between these factors and the maximum height reached.