1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Minimum Volume of cone, answer does not make sense

1. Mar 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Dimensions of the right circular cone of minimum volume which can be circumscribed about a sphere of radius 8 inches.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    So this is my try, i did the question to find the minimum volume of the cone,
    [​IMG]
    For Larger Size: http://i54.tinypic.com/29yqyiw.jpg
    As you can see the minimum value is when h=0 , thus volume is equal to 0, it makes sense the minimum volume would be 0, but i think i did the question wrong, can you tell me where i've gone wrong.

Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your picture shows a cone that is inscribed inside a sphere, not circumscribed outside as the problem asks.

4. Mar 22, 2011 #3
    so is it suppose to be like this then i try to minimize the volume of the cone,
    [​IMG]
    sorry i didn't get what it meant mean circumscribed , i though it would be inside

5. Mar 22, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Your calculation (given your drawing) is completely correct.
    It's only your graphic interpretation with a parabola that is incorrect.
    The volume is not given by a parabola but by a third power.
    So the maximum volume is at h=32/3.
    Btw, the volume becomes zero at h = 16, which is the solution for V=0.

6. Mar 22, 2011 #5

LCKurtz

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. But your picture needs a little work. The bottom of the sphere would touch the center of the base of the cone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?