Calculating Kinetic Energy of Fridge Pushed 5m

In summary, a young Mr. Watford applies a force of 180N to a refrigerator on the kitchen floor. The net force on the refrigerator is 145N when the floor has a constant frictional force of 35N. The acceleration of the refrigerator, with a mass of 70kg, is 2.57 ms-2. The kinetic energy of the fridge after being pushed 5.00m is 896.13J. However, it is important to consider the mass of the fridge when calculating acceleration.
AHUGEMUSHROOM
Q: A young Mr. Watford applies a force of 180N to a refrigerator on. kitchen floor.

Part (A):Find the net force on the refrigerator if the floor has a constant frictional force of 35N.

Ans:145N

Part (B): Calculate the acceleration of the refrigerator if it has a mass of 70kg.

Ans: 2.57 ms-2

Part (C) Calculate the kinetic energy of the fridge after it has been pushed 5.00m.

initial velocity = 0 ms-1
displacement = 5m
acceleration = 2.57 ms-2
mass = 70kg
time = ?s = ut + 1/2at^2
v = u + at
Ek=1/2 mv^2Substituting the given units into s = ut + 1/2at^2, I got time = 1.97s

Substituting the units into v = u + at, I got final velocity = 5.06 ms-1

And finally subbing the units into Ek= 1/2mv^2, I got Kinetic Energy = 896.13J.

I got one benefit of the doubt mark out of four possible marks, and if that was in an exam I would've got 0 marks as there are no benefit of the doubt marks.

Please reply asap I have an exam tomorrow.

Thanks

*ANSWERED*

E = W
W= Fs
=180 x 5 = 900J

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Give us the entire problem statement, and you might get some constructive suggestions.

SteamKing said:
Give us the entire problem statement, and you might get some constructive suggestions.

Fixed! :)

Rethink your calculation for the acceleration. The mass of the fridge will respond to the net force applied to it.

KE = 1/2mv^2
= 1/2 x 70 x (5.06)^2 = 896.13J

The kinetic energy of the fridge after being pushed 5m is 896.13J.

1. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of a fridge pushed 5m?

To calculate the kinetic energy of a fridge, you need to know its mass and velocity. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the fridge in kilograms and v is the velocity in meters per second. Once you have these values, simply plug them into the formula to get the kinetic energy in joules.

2. Why is it important to calculate the kinetic energy of a fridge?

Calculating the kinetic energy of a fridge can help you determine the amount of work that was done to move the fridge a certain distance. This information can be useful in understanding the energy efficiency of the fridge and identifying any potential energy losses in the system.

3. What units are used to measure kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is measured in joules (J), which is a unit of energy in the International System of Units (SI). It can also be expressed in other units of energy, such as kilojoules (kJ) or calories (cal).

4. Can the kinetic energy of a fridge pushed 5m be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a fridge can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy. For example, if the fridge is stopped suddenly after being pushed, its kinetic energy will be converted into potential energy as it comes to a halt. Friction may also generate thermal energy as the fridge is pushed.

5. How does the mass and velocity of a fridge affect its kinetic energy?

The mass and velocity of a fridge have a direct relationship with its kinetic energy. The greater the mass of the fridge, the more kinetic energy it will have when pushed a certain distance. Similarly, the faster the fridge is pushed, the more kinetic energy it will have. This is because the formula for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 * m * v^2) takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object.