Find the ratio of the frequency of the damped oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio of the frequency of a damped harmonic oscillator to its natural frequency after four cycles when the amplitude has decreased to 1/e of its initial value. The equation T=2π/w1 and w1^2=w0^2-β^2 are used, but the answer obtained does not match the expected solution. The importance of defining symbols, such as w for omega and the natural frequency, is also mentioned.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a damped harmonic oscillator. After four cycles the amplitude of the oscillator has dropped to 1/e of its initial value. Find the ratio of the frequency of the damped oscillator to its natural frequency.

Homework Equations

[tex]T=\frac{ 2\pi}{w_1}[/tex]

[tex] w_1^2=w_0^2- {\Beta}^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is [tex]\frac{w_1}{w_0}=\frac{8 {\pi}}{\sqrt{64 {\pi}^2+1}}[/tex]

However, I think I am missing an equation here because using only the two above i cannot obtain this answer. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

Josh

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, firstly you should explain your symbols. I presume you are using w to mean omega; the frequency of the oscillator. What is the definition of the natural frequency?

:

I would first clarify any uncertainties or missing information in the given problem. Is the damping factor, Beta, known? Is the initial amplitude of the oscillator given? Without this information, it is difficult to verify the given answer or provide a complete solution.

Assuming that Beta and the initial amplitude are known, the ratio of the frequency of the damped oscillator to its natural frequency can be found using the equation:

$\frac{w_1}{w_0}=\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{e^2}}=\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{e^{2{\Beta}T}}}=\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{e^{2{\Beta}\frac{4\pi}{w_0}}}}$

Where T is the time for four cycles, which is equal to $\frac{4\pi}{w_0}$.

This equation can be derived from the equation for the amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator, which is given by:

$A(t)=A_0e^{-{\Beta}t}$

Setting t equal to the time for four cycles, we get:

$\frac{A(t)}{A_0}=\frac{1}{e^{\Beta T}}=\frac{1}{e^{\Beta \frac{4\pi}{w_0}}}$

Solving for $\frac{w_1}{w_0}$, we get the same answer as the one given in the problem. Therefore, the given ratio is correct, but more information is needed to provide a complete solution.

Related to Find the ratio of the frequency of the damped oscillator

1. What is a damped oscillator?

A damped oscillator is a type of system that exhibits oscillatory motion, where the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force.

2. How is the frequency of a damped oscillator determined?

The frequency of a damped oscillator can be determined by taking the square root of the ratio of the spring constant to the mass, divided by the damping coefficient.

3. What is the significance of finding the ratio of the frequency of a damped oscillator?

The ratio of the frequency of a damped oscillator is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the system and how different factors, such as damping, affect its oscillations.

4. Can the frequency of a damped oscillator be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a damped oscillator can be changed by altering the values of the spring constant, mass, or damping coefficient. The system may also be affected by external forces.

5. How is the ratio of the frequency of a damped oscillator useful in real-world applications?

The ratio of the frequency of a damped oscillator is useful in real-world applications, such as engineering and physics, as it allows us to predict and control the behavior of systems that exhibit damped oscillations, such as pendulums and electrical circuits.