Answer: Calculate the Value of sin inverse (2)

• Thread starter mkbh_10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the value of sin inverse (2) and the use of hyperbolic sine in solving it. The person asking the question did not know about the hyperbolic sine function and it was not taught in their course. The conversation also touches upon the fairness of the question and the lack of clarity in teaching complex numbers in the course.
mkbh_10

Homework Statement

Find the value of sin inverse (2 ) ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This was a question in my final exam & i had no clue about it

Physics news on Phys.org
is it a real value? what is the domain of the ArcSin function?

No extra information was given

Suppose such a value, k, exists, so that [tex]\arcsin 2 = k[/tex]. Then taking sines of both sides, [tex]sin (k) = 2[/tex]. However, the sine function is bounded between -1 and 1 for all real numbers. Hence there is no real solution.

… hyperbolic sines … !

mkbh_10 said:
Find the value of sin inverse (2 ) ?

This was a question in my final exam & i had no clue about it

Hi mkbh_10! Hope you passed! :smile:

Hint: cosh ix = cosx, and sinh ix = isinx.

(that's why sinh is called the hyperbolic sin!)

So sin(x + iy) = sinx cos iy + cosx sin iy = sinx coshy - i cosx sinhy;

so you needed cosx = 0, and … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi mkbh_10! Hope you passed! :smile:

Hint: cosh ix = cosx, and sinh ix = isinx.

(that's why sinh is called the hyperbolic sin!)

So sin(x + iy) = sinx cos iy + cosx sin iy = sinx coshy - i cosx sinhy;

so you needed cosx = 0, and … ? :smile:

But there is no hyperbolic sine function in the question ?

I am studying in DU (Delhi University ) so results will only be out in mid July . I will definitely pass but i want top marks which i will not be getting in this paper coz of my silly mistakes .

What course is this for? That's important. If you are studying complex numbers in the course, then there is a solution, if not, there is no solution.

And just because there is no "hyperbolic sine" in the problem doesn't mean you can't use one to solve it.

i have not found it anywhere in my course , that's why i am asking , i didn't study this type of question neither did our teacher taught nor does the book has this type of questions

i have studied complex numbers but i have no clue about it

… really unfair … !

mkbh_10 said:
i have not found it anywhere in my course , that's why i am asking , i didn't study this type of question neither did our teacher taught nor does the book has this type of questions

That's really unfair! :mad:

(even if you've done things like log(-1) and log(i), sin(ix) isn't obvious, and should have been pointed out to you, IMO)

(Check the official syllabus, to see if it's on it … if it's not, complain about the exam … if it is, check with your fellow students, and make a joint request for credit for that question … will your student union help you with that?)

(btw, sin (π/2 - isinh^(-1)2) = 2)

this is india, nothing happens at student level , & there are 30-40 clgs in DU that have this course & who knows what teacher teaches in a particular topic

mkbh_10 said:
this is india, nothing happens at student level , & there are 30-40 clgs in DU that have this course & who knows what teacher teaches in a particular topic

share your pain bro.. share your pain.

What is the formula for calculating the value of sin inverse (2)?

The formula for calculating the value of sin inverse (2) is sin-1(2) = arcsin(2) = 3/2 = 60°.

What is the range of values for sin inverse (2)?

The range of values for sin inverse (2) is between -90° to 90°.

How do you use a calculator to find the value of sin inverse (2)?

To find the value of sin inverse (2) using a calculator, you can use the inverse sine function button (sin-1) or the arcsine function button (arcsin) and then input the value of 2. This will give you the result in degrees.

What is the relationship between sin inverse (2) and the unit circle?

Sin inverse (2) is the inverse function of sine and is used to find the angle in the unit circle that has a sine value of 2, which is outside the range of -1 to 1. This angle can be found at the point where the line x=2 intersects the unit circle, which is at 60°.

Are there any real-life applications of calculating the value of sin inverse (2)?

Yes, calculating the value of sin inverse (2) has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to find the angle of inclination of a ramp or the angle of elevation of an object, as well as in calculating the direction of a satellite or aircraft. It is also useful in solving trigonometric equations and in computer graphics and animation.