Find the Volume of an Oil Deposit

• Thread starter nzashadow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil Volume
In summary, a geologist searching for oil found a location where the gravity was 5 parts in 10^7 smaller than average. Assuming a spherical deposit of oil located 2000 meters below with a density of 800 kg/m^3, the size of the deposit can be estimated using the Universal Law of Gravity. The resultant of the gravitational forces of both the Earth and the oil deposit on unit mass is equal to the difference from the average gravity, which can be represented by a sphere with a density of ρ=ρ(oil)-ρ(earth).
nzashadow

Homework Statement

A geologist searching for oil finds that the gravity at a certain location is 5 parts in 10^7 smaller than average. Assume that a deposit of oil is located 2000 meters directly below.

Estimate the size of the deposit, assumed spherical. Take the density (mass per unit volume) of rock to be 3000 kg/m^3 and that of oil to be 800 kg/m^3.

Homework Equations

g = F/m ...?

The Attempt at a Solution

Usually when trying to do physics homework, I try to build the solution without following the book, or looking up equations, based on my understanding of how the concepts work out.

My first thought was to find the radius of the oil deposit... however I could see no way to figure that out. My second thought, and my first approach, was to cube the distance, and turn it into a ratio problem. However several attempts an reattempts just did not seem to work. After a long while I did consult the book, which had no examples that I could see related to the problem.

I did find one equation that seems like it could be applied to the situation, however I cannot seem to figure out how to apply it. This equation being g = F/m.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Universal law of gravity, F=GmM/r2, the force between two point masses m and M at distance r. A homogeneous sphere can be considered as a point mass in the centre of the sphere. The Earth can be considered so, but it has the oil deposit with less density than that of the Earth. You can handle the problem that you have the Earth, and the oil deposit, an other sphere, with centre 2000 m from the surface, where the material of the Earth is missing, and is filled with a lower density material, so having negative density: ρ=ρ(oil)-ρ(earth). The resultant of the gravitational forces of both spheres on unit mass is the gravitational force measured. So the difference from the average gravity is equal to the gravity of a sphere with density ρ=ρ(oil)-ρ(earth).

ehild

1. How is the volume of an oil deposit determined?

The volume of an oil deposit is determined through a process called reservoir engineering, which involves studying the geologic structures and physical properties of the oil reservoir. This includes analyzing the size, shape, and depth of the reservoir, as well as the type and thickness of the rock layers that contain the oil.

2. What factors affect the volume of an oil deposit?

There are several factors that can affect the volume of an oil deposit, including the porosity and permeability of the rock, the amount and type of oil present, and the pressure and temperature of the reservoir. The location and geological history of the reservoir can also impact its volume.

3. How accurate are volume estimates of oil deposits?

The accuracy of volume estimates for oil deposits can vary depending on the amount of available data and the methods used to calculate the volume. However, with advanced technology and techniques, reservoir engineers are able to provide relatively accurate estimates of oil deposit volumes.

4. What are the units used to measure the volume of an oil deposit?

The volume of an oil deposit is typically measured in barrels (bbl), cubic feet (ft3), or cubic meters (m3). The specific unit used may vary depending on the location and industry standards.

5. Can the volume of an oil deposit change over time?

Yes, the volume of an oil deposit can change over time due to various factors such as production and extraction of oil, changes in pressure and temperature, and natural geological processes. Regular monitoring and analysis of the reservoir is necessary to track any changes in volume.