An oil filled system- finding d

• Thread starter tensor0910
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil System
In summary, the conversation discusses an oil filled system shown in a figure, with the question of how much force the fluid exerts on the end of the cylinder at A. The solution involves using the equation P = Po + F/A = 1.79 X 105 and making an assumption based on the appearance of the system.
tensor0910
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
An oil filled system is shown in the figure below. The density of the oil is
m^3.gif

15.P34.jpg

In the figure(Figure 1)how much force does the fluid exert on the end of the cylinder at A?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Solved for Poil using P = Po + F/A = 1.79 X 105. Simple enough.

Since pressure is the same across any level, we first have to first figure out the distance from Po to the top of A. This is where I am stuck. I feel like its something very simple but I just don't see it!

The distance is 70cm. We did this one in class, but I still don't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to make an assumption based on the appearance.

Likes tensor0910
This goes against everything I was ever taught, but as soon as you posted this it made sense. Thank you!

What is an oil filled system?

An oil filled system is a type of system that uses oil as a medium for transferring and storing energy. It is commonly used in various industrial processes, such as hydraulic systems, turbines, and transformers.

Why is it important to find "d" in an oil filled system?

"d" refers to the distance between the oil level and the top of the system, and it is important to find because it affects the overall performance and efficiency of the system. It also helps to determine the proper amount of oil needed for the system to function effectively.

What factors affect the value of "d" in an oil filled system?

The value of "d" can be affected by the temperature of the oil, the type and viscosity of the oil, the design and dimensions of the system, and any external forces acting on the system. It is important to consider these factors when determining the value of "d".

How can "d" be measured in an oil filled system?

There are several methods for measuring "d" in an oil filled system, such as using a dipstick, ultrasonic level sensors, or pressure sensors. The most accurate method will depend on the specific system and its components.

What are the potential consequences of an incorrect "d" measurement in an oil filled system?

An incorrect "d" measurement can lead to a variety of issues, including decreased efficiency, increased energy consumption, and potential damage to the system. It is important to regularly check and accurately measure "d" to ensure the optimal performance of the system.