Find union between the two of the solutions

• Thread starter Physicsissuef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Union
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the union of two solution sets for a given equation. The solution set is the set of all odd multiples of pi and all even multiples of pi (including zero), which is the set of all integers. The first few allowed solutions are -3pi, -2pi, -pi, 0, pi, 2pi, 3pi, etc.
Physicsissuef

Homework Statement

I solve the equation of one function, which comes out with two solutions:

1. cosx=-1, x=(2k+1)[itex]\pi[/itex] ; 2. cosx=1, x=2k[itex]\pi[/itex] (k [itex]\in \mathbb{Z})[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, we need to find union between the two of the solutions:

{[itex]\pi + 2k\pi[/itex]}[itex]\cup[/itex]{[itex]2k\pi [/itex]}= ??

What will be the solution of this one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: The first set is the set of all odd numbers [multiplied by [itex]\pi[/itex]] and the second is the set of all even numbers (including zero) [multiplied by [itex]\pi[/itex]].

Last edited:
Ok, I understand. What's next? :D

Physicsissuef said:
Ok, I understand. What's next? :D
Well the solution set is the set of all odd multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] and all even multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] (including zero), which is the set of all ...?

If your still not sure, try writing out the first few allowed solutions.

Hootenanny said:
Well the solution set is the set of all odd multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] and all even multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] (including zero), which is the set of all ...?

If your still not sure, try writing out the first few allowed solutions.

set of all numbers, which is k[itex]\pi[/itex]? Like this?

What are those few allowed solutions?

Last edited:
Physicsissuef said:
set of all numbers, which is k[itex]\pi[/itex]? Like this?

The set of all solutions is [itex]\left\{k\pi\right\}\;\; ,\; k\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex], which is the set of all integers, not the set of all numbers.

By a few allowed solutions are meant the first few numbers in each set.

EDIT: You need to correct your itex delimiters to allow the thread to display properly.

Last edited:
Can you give me some of that numbers?
P.S I correct the tags.

Physicsissuef said:
Can you give me some of that numbers?
P.S I correct the tags.
The solutions are simply integer multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] like I said previously,

[tex]\left\{k\pi\right\} \; ,\; k\in\mathbb{Z} = \ldots , -3\pi, -2\pi, -\pi, 0 , \pi, 2\pi, 3\pi, \ldots[/tex]

I understand. Thanks.

What does it mean to find the union between two solutions?

Finding the union between two solutions means identifying the set of elements that are present in either one or both of the solutions. This can help determine the combined or overlapping characteristics of the two solutions.

Why is it important to find the union between two solutions?

Finding the union between two solutions can provide valuable insights into the similarities and differences between them. This can help in decision making, problem solving, and understanding the relationship between the two solutions.

How is the union between two solutions calculated?

The union between two solutions is calculated by taking the elements from both solutions and combining them into one set. This is often represented by the symbol ∪ and is read as "union".

What is the difference between the union and intersection of two solutions?

The union of two solutions includes all elements that are present in either one or both solutions, while the intersection of two solutions includes only the elements that are common to both solutions. In other words, the union combines, while the intersection identifies the overlap.

Can the union between two solutions be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the union between two solutions to be empty if there are no common elements between them. This means that the two solutions do not share any similarities or overlapping characteristics.