Finding 2012th Term of F(x) Integral from -π to π

• Thread starter Dassinia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, this conversation is about a homework problem that involves calculating the integral of the difference of two even successive terms. The original poster forgot to include the superscript 2 in their function notation, and this caused confusion because the problem is not the same as originally stated. Another person was helping the original poster with the problem, but they forgot what the function was supposed to look like. Ultimately, the original poster was able to solve the problem using sigma notation.
Dassinia
Hello,
This is not a homework, just trying to solve the previous exams and I'm stuck at one of them :

Homework Statement

Consider
Fn(x)=1/(2*pi) * [ sin(n*x/2) / sin(x/2) ]
Calculate:

∫ F2012(x) from -pi to pi

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tryed replacing the sine by the exponential expression, but it doesn't really help !
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Dassinia said:
Hello,
This is not a homework, just trying to solve the previous exams and I'm stuck at one of them :

Homework Statement

Consider
Fn(x)=1/(2*pi) * [ sin(n*x/2) / sin(x/2) ]
Calculate:

∫ F2012(x) from -pi to pi

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tryed replacing the sine by the exponential expression, but it doesn't really help !
Thanks

If I'm reading correctly this is your integral:

##\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \frac{sin(1006x)}{sin(\frac{x}{2})} dx##

I think a Taylor expansion would help:

$$\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \frac{ \sum_{n=0}^{∞} (-1)^n \frac{ (1006x)^{2n+1} }{ (2n+1)! } }{ \sum_{n=0}^{∞} (-1)^n \frac{ (\frac{x^{2n+1}}{2^{2n+1}}) }{ (2n+1)! }} dx$$

I believe you can integrate that.

I completely forgot the properties of Ʃ :blushing:
Can we simplify by eliminatig the same terms in the numerator and denominator ?

Dassinia said:
I completely forgot the properties of Ʃ :blushing:
Can we simplify by eliminating the same terms in the numerator and denominator ?

Does ##\frac {1+3+5}{2+3+6} =\frac {1+5}{2+6}##?

Oh, of course not.
So, what are the steps to calculate the integral ?
I don't know how calculate that

From the structure of the problem, I would try obtaining a recurrence relation between the integrals of successive Fn. Integration by parts should help.

haruspex said:
From the structure of the problem, I would try obtaining a recurrence relation between the integrals of successive Fn. Integration by parts should help.
I would try looking at the difference between successive *even* terms of Fn and using trigonometric relationships. The integration becomes trivial.

Hint: ##\frac{\sin(nx) - \sin((n-1)x)} {\sin(x/2)}## can be expressed in a very simple form.

Hello,

F2N=sin²(nx)/sin²(x/2)
F2N+2=sin²((n+1)x)/sin²(x/2)

F2N-F2N+2=[sin²(nx)-sin²((n+1)x)]/sin²(x/2) = [ cos(2nx)-cos(2n+2)x)]/(cos(x)-1)

But I don't get the idea, how is it supposed to help me calculate F2012 ?

No! Successive terms of FN means developing FN in terms of FN-1.

D H said:
I would try looking at the difference between successive *even* terms of Fn and using trigonometric relationships. The integration becomes trivial.

Hint: ##\frac{\sin(nx) - \sin((n-1)x)} {\sin(x/2)}## can be expressed in a very simple form.

Ah, I see what you are doing. But isn't it the difference between successive odd terms that comes out to be REALLY simple? The difference between even terms is somewhat simple, but you have to sum an awful lot of those simple things to get up to 2012.

You said "even" terms I took two even successive terms
Difference betweend successive odd terms gives :
[cos((2n+1)x)-cos((2n+3)x)]/(cos(x)-1)

Last edited:
Dick said:
Ah, I see what you are doing. But isn't it the difference between successive odd terms that comes out to be REALLY simple? The difference between even terms is somewhat simple, but you have to sum an awful lot of those simple things to get up to 2012.
Since 2012 is even, that's the problem you have to address. Yes, you'll get a sum of 1006 terms. That sum can be expressed very simply.

Apparently I didn't understand the exersise your way.
I think Fn IS a function that depends of the n we choose. But are you saying that Fn is a serie and that F2012 is the sum from n=0 to n=2012 ?

Fn is exactly what you specified in the original post: ##F_n(x) = \frac 1 {2\pi} \frac {\sin(nx/2)}{ \sin(x/2) }##. That's nice and compact, but how are you going to integrate it? One answer to solve this is to express Fn a different way, for example, as a series, each element of which is easily integrated.

I made a mistake in my initial post it is Fn(x)=1/(2*pi) * [ sin(n*x/2) / sin(x/2) ]²
I just don't get it.
I am supposed to calculate the integral of the difference of the two even successive terms for the first 1006 terms ?

Ʃ [ cos(2nx)-cos(2n+2)x)]/(cos(x)-1) dx

The integral from -pi to pi
The sum starts at n=0 to n=1006

Dassinia said:
I made a mistake in my initial post it is Fn(x)=1/(2*pi) * [ sin(n*x/2) / sin(x/2) ]²

Grrrr. Do not do that!

We have been helping you with Fn(x) as defined in the OP. How were we supposed to know you omitted that little superscript 2? This is a very different problem.

D H said:
Since 2012 is even, that's the problem you have to address. Yes, you'll get a sum of 1006 terms. That sum can be expressed very simply.

Ok, while I'm discarding the work I did on the original problem since it's now changed, the only way to express that simply is using sigma notation. I was actually originally wondering if somebody didn't take this question from a test in 2011 to make a new test in 2012, and then decided to 'update' the question by changing '2011' to '2012', without realizing what a difference it would make.

sigma notation ?
Even with the " ² " we can write it simply as I did or is it false ?
I was looking at my course notes
Can we simplify it like Fejer's Kernel ?
Kn(x)= 1/(n+1) * [ sin((n+1)*x/2) / sin(x/2) ]² = Ʃ (n+1-|r|)/(n+1) eirx sum from -n to n

Last edited:
Dassinia said:
sigma notation ?

No, I should stop chirping in here. I was talking to DH and that's just confusing you. I was talking about the originally (wrongly!) stated problem. For this one you should be able to actually get a simple numerical answer for ##F_{2012}## without having any series notation at all. Keep working.

Dassinia said:
sigma notation ?
NO!

We were helping you with ##\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin(nx/2) / \sin(x/2)\, dx## because that is what you asked us to help you with in the original post. You never corrected your mistake in your original post until just recently.

You do not know how annoying this is. Most of us who help with homework solve the problem before we post anything.

You need to forget everything that has been said so far because we were solving that original problem. Your new problem is *very* different. This problem is *easy*.

Last edited:
I calculate F1 F2 F3... And I found that
∫Fn(x) dx = n

To demonstrate it we can use induction proof but how do I get to Fn+1 or Fn-1 from Fn ?
Thanks

Dassinia said:
To demonstrate it we can use induction proof but how do I get to Fn+1 or Fn-1 from Fn ?
Thanks
Denote ΔFn(x) as the difference between consecutive functions in the sequence of functions: ΔFn(x)=Fn+1(x)-Fn(x). If you can develop a formula for ΔFn(x) then you can find Fn+1(x) in terms of Fn(x) and ΔFn(x).

Take this one step further: What is the difference between consecutive pairs of differences? In other words, what is Δ2Fn(x)=ΔFn+1(x)-ΔFn(x)? How does this help you find ##I_n = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} F_n(x) \, dx## ?

Related to Finding 2012th Term of F(x) Integral from -π to π

1. What is the formula for finding the 2012th term of F(x) Integral from -π to π?

The formula for finding the 2012th term of F(x) Integral from -π to π is:
F(2012) = ∫π f(x) dx

2. How do you calculate the value of F(2012)?

To calculate the value of F(2012), you need to find the integral of f(x) from -π to π and then substitute 2012 in place of x in the resulting equation.

3. Can the 2012th term of F(x) Integral from -π to π be negative?

Yes, the 2012th term of F(x) Integral from -π to π can be negative if the function f(x) has negative values within the interval from -π to π.

4. Is there a way to approximate the value of F(2012) without calculating the integral?

Yes, you can use numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or Trapezoidal rule to approximate the value of F(2012) without calculating the integral directly.

5. What is the significance of finding the 2012th term of F(x) Integral from -π to π?

The significance of finding the 2012th term of F(x) Integral from -π to π depends on the context in which it is being used. In some cases, it may represent the average value of a function over a specific interval, while in others it may have a physical or mathematical significance.