Finding a Dynamics Book with Derivation for Angular Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of tensors in deriving equations for angular acceleration in an undergraduate introductory dynamics class. The professor also mentions the concept of unstable rotation and the lack of derivation in textbooks like Johnston and Beer's. The suggestion of using "Analytical Dynamics" by Baruh as a supplement is given, with a link to a relevant forum post.
jehan60188
in an undergrad introductory dynamics class, my professor used tensors, and assumed things went to zero to derive equations for angular acceleration.
he then proceeded to show how a rotating body with certain moments of inertia will experience unstable rotation about certain axes due to the previously mentioned assumption not being valid

johnston and beer do not cover this, they merely spit out equations with no derivation
is there a better book? perhaps a 400 level text, or even graduate level text that I can look at to get this derivation?
thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I used "Analytical Dynamics" by Baruh to supplement my textbook in one of my graduate classes. It may have what you are looking for.

Related to Finding a Dynamics Book with Derivation for Angular Acceleration

1. What is the purpose of finding a dynamics book with derivation for angular acceleration?

The purpose of finding a dynamics book with derivation for angular acceleration is to gain a deeper understanding of the principles and equations involved in rotational motion. This can be helpful for students or researchers in fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics, where knowledge of angular acceleration is essential.

2. What topics should be covered in a dynamics book with derivation for angular acceleration?

A dynamics book with derivation for angular acceleration should cover topics such as angular velocity, torque, moment of inertia, and angular momentum. It should also include the equations and derivations for these concepts, as well as their applications in different scenarios.

3. Are there any recommended books for learning about angular acceleration?

Yes, there are many recommended books for learning about angular acceleration. Some popular options include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker.

4. How can I apply my knowledge of angular acceleration in real-world situations?

Knowledge of angular acceleration can be applied in various real-world situations, such as understanding the motion of rotating objects like wheels, propellers, and planets. It can also be useful in designing and analyzing mechanical systems, such as engines and turbines.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand derivation for angular acceleration?

Having a strong mathematical background can certainly make it easier to understand derivation for angular acceleration. However, with a good understanding of basic calculus and physics principles, anyone can grasp the concepts and equations involved in angular acceleration. It may just require a bit more effort and practice.