Finding a formula for this curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation for a curve that is tangent to a family of linear functions. The solution involves finding the maximum value of a function using calculus and results in the equation y=x-2√(10x)+10.
BoomMath
Hi,

I just registered to this forum, I'm working on the following problem.

In the picture you see a family of linear functions. I need to find a function that is tangent/'just touches' (to) the lines. I immediately thought of a tractrix, but it seems to be a little different. I'd like some help in the right direction. :smile:

Can I solve this using differential equations?

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44496&stc=1&d=1330459648
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/44499

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I understand what you want, but your description of the problem is a little off.

Basically, what you want is that if you draw all the possible lines, then you want an equation of the curve it describes.

Let me solve this for you:
Firstly, let's describe the general line. The general line will connect [itex](a,0)[/itex] and (0,10-a), with a in [0,10]. This line is given by

[tex]y=(1-\frac{10}{a})x+10-a[/tex]

So for each a we have a line [itex]L_a[/itex].

What we want to do now is to fix a point x and find the maximum point that the lines take on.
So, for a certain x, we want to find

[tex]\max\{(1-\frac{10}{a})x+10-a~\vert~a\in [0,10]\}[/tex]

To maximize this, we consider the function

[tex]f(a)=(1-\frac{10}{a})x+10-a[/tex]

of which we want to find the maximum. This can be easily done by calculus.

The derivative of f is

[tex]f^{\prime}(x)=\frac{10x}{a^2}-1[/tex]

We find when this is equal to 0 and we find that

[tex]a=\sqrt{10x}[/tex]

So the maximum value is reached for this a. The actual maximum value is now given by

[tex](1-\frac{10}{\sqrt{10x}})x+10-\sqrt{10x}=x-2\sqrt{10x}+10[/tex]

So the desired function is

[tex]y=x-2\sqrt{10x}+10[/tex]

Thank you very much!

I didn't realize the answer was so straightforward, i was trying to fit a parabola on the family of functions, hehe.

What exactly is a formula for a curve?

A formula for a curve is a mathematical equation that represents the relationship between the input variables and the output variables of a curve or function. It allows us to predict the output value for a given input value.

Why is it important to find a formula for a curve?

Finding a formula for a curve is important because it helps us understand and analyze the behavior of the curve. It also allows us to make predictions and solve problems related to the curve.

What are the steps involved in finding a formula for a curve?

The steps involved in finding a formula for a curve include collecting data points, plotting the curve on a graph, determining the type of curve, selecting the appropriate mathematical model, and fitting the data to the model to find the best formula.

What are some common types of curves and their corresponding formulas?

Common types of curves include linear, exponential, logarithmic, quadratic, and trigonometric curves. Their corresponding formulas are y = mx + b, y = ab^x, y = log(a)x, y = ax^2 + bx + c, and y = a sin(bx + c), respectively.

Is there a guaranteed method for finding a formula for any curve?

No, there is no guaranteed method for finding a formula for any curve. It often requires trial and error, and the selection of the appropriate mathematical model depends on the nature of the data and the type of curve being analyzed.