Finding a power series for arcsin(x)

In summary: Sorry, I'm not sure how to use Latex.I don't think you have to do that. You could just use the ratio test and note that the series for (1-x)^(-1/2) converges absolutely for x between 0 and 1. And for x=-1 you have the alternating harmonic series which converges. So the interval of convergence is [-1,1).I suppose you can use the ratio test to show that the series for (1-x)^(-1/2) converges for x=-1 and x=1. But you should be able to see that it doesn't converge absolutely for x=1 and you should be able to use the alternating series test for x=-1.
chouse12

Homework Statement

1. Find a power series for (1-x)^(-1/2)
2. Find a power series for (1-x^2)^(-1/2)
3. Find a power series for arcsin(x)

Homework Equations

Binomial series, (1+x)^k= 1 + kx + k(k-1)x^2/2!+ k(k-1)(k-2)x^3/3!+...

The Attempt at a Solution

for 1., I have 1+ (-1/2)(-x) + (-1/2)(-1/2-1)(-x)^2/2! + (-1/2)(-1/2-1)(-1/2-2)(-x)^3/3!+...
Simplified, 1+ x/2 +3x^2/8+ 15x^3/48 + 35x^4/128+...
From here, I am having trouble finding the general term.
Once I can find that, the rest is easy...just use x^2 instead of x for (2) and integrate the series to get arcsin(x) for (3).
I know I could look up a power series for arcsin(x) in a table or website but the point is to get it using the binomial series.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi chouse12! Welcome to PF! :smile:
chouse12 said:

I know I could look up a power series for arcsin(x) in a table or website but the point is to get it using the binomial series.

Quite right! :biggrin:

hmm :rolleyes: … a series of three questions …

Hint: integrate :wink:

chouse12 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Binomial series, (1+x)^k= 1 + kx + k(k-1)x^2/2!+ k(k-1)(k-2)x^3/3!+...

The Attempt at a Solution

for 1., I have 1+ (-1/2)(-x) + (-1/2)(-1/2-1)(-x)^2/2! + (-1/2)(-1/2-1)(-1/2-2)(-x)^3/3!+...

how about only simplifying the subtractions first to look for a pattern, then multiply out the negative signs to either + or -
[tex]=
1+ (-\frac{1}{2})(-x) + (-\frac{1}{2})(-\frac{3}{2})(-x)^2\frac{1}{2!} + (-\frac{1}{2})(-\frac{3}{2})(-\frac{5}{2})(-x)^3\frac{1}{3!}!+...

[/tex]

chouse12 said:
Simplified, 1+ x/2 +3x^2/8+ 15x^3/48 + 35x^4/128+...
From here, I am having trouble finding the general term.
Once I can find that, the rest is easy...just use x^2 instead of x for (2) and integrate the series to get arcsin(x) for (3).

tiny-tim, Thanks for the welcome and the hint. The main problem for me seems to be getting the first series though..

lanedance, so far I have the series expressed as (-1)^0/2^0/0!(-x)^0 + (((-1)/2^1)/1!)(-x)^1+(((-1)(-3)/2^2)/2!)(-x)^2+(((-1)(-3)(-5)/2^3)/1!)(-x)^3+...+ (((-1)(-3)(-5)...(2n-1)/2^n)/n!) (-x)^n+...
The trouble is I don't know how to express the (-1)(-3)(-5)...(2n-1) as a single term containing "n's".

Sorry for the newbformatting, I need to learn how to use latex

Ok, I messed around with it a little more and ended up with this:
1+ (1/2)(x) + ((1)(3)/(2)(4))x^2 + ((1)(3)(5)/(2)(4)(6))x^3+...
So the coefficients on each term is with consecutive odd integers in the numerator, always multiplying by the next integer in the next term, and consecutive even integers in the denominator, always multiplying by the next integer in the next term (I multiplied all the negative signs to give all positive terms). Now, from this, how would I find the general term of the series?

Look up the definition of the 'double factorial', e.g. (2n-1)!.

Hi chouse12! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
chouse12 said:

Now, from this, how would I find the general term of the series?

How about ∑(2n)!/(n!)222n, = 2nCn/22n ? :smile:

Dick, I did not know about double factorials or other multiple factorials before so thanks for that. However, how do I make the top odd and the bottom even? On one website I looked at, it just has n! as a piecewise term, making the terms all even for n>0 and even and all odd for n>0 and odd. Or would it just be, as you stated, (2n-1)!?

Tiny-Tim, I believe that is the correct answer but could you explain how you arrived there?

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Dick, from Tiny-Tim's answer, I notice that it is just (2n-1)! simplified into terms with single factorials (i.e. (2n-1)!=(2n)!/2nn!) but instead of in the denominator 2nn!, it is that quantity squared (22n(n!)2). Does this make the terms in the denominator the even integers?

how about this
[tex]
1.3.5.7...(2n-1)
[/tex]
[tex]
=\frac{1.2.3.4.5.6.7...(2n-1)}{2.4.6...(2n-2)}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\frac{(2n-1)!}{2(1).2(2).2(3)...2(n-1)}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\frac{(2n-1)!}{2^{n-1}(n-1)!}
[/tex]

lanedance, that is almost correct. That gives coefficients of 1, 2/2, 24/8, 720/48...
which simplify, to 1, 1, 3, 15...
The denominator is correct but the numerator is not. The coefficients should be 1, 1/2, 3/8, 15/48... so if the bottom term was squared then it would be correct. So any ideas on how to find the formula with the denominator squared (while showing work, not just squaring the bottom since it isn't right)?

i only gave the term for the (1.3.5...(2n-1)) part of the sequence

your sequence is
[tex]= 1+ \frac{1}{2}x + \frac{1}{2}\frac{3}{2}x^2\frac{1}{2!} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{3}{2}\frac{5}{2}x^3\frac{1}{3!}+...[/tex]

so the coefficient for the nth power of x should be
[tex] a_n = \frac{1.3.5...(2n-1)}{2^n.n!} [/tex]

so you get the extra terms on the denominator... I've done this pretty quickly, should work, though you may have to be careful with how n is defined - ie which term it relates to

Oh that clears everything up...Thank you so much for the help.

Just another quick question...I need to find the interval of convergence for this series. I set up the ratio test and I think I must be doing it wrong because I am getting convergence for all real values of x but in my textbook it says the binomial series only converges from -1 to 1.

Here is my work:
lim n--> infinity of abs. value (((2n+1)!/(2n+1(n+1)!)2)/((2n)!/(2n(n)!)2)) (x)

and I simplified that to lim n--> infinity of abs. value(2n+1/4(n+1)2) abs. value of (x)
and that limit goes to 0

If you've settled on a_n=(2n-1)!/(2^(n-1)*n!). And I'll accept Lanedance's opinion on that, since I haven't checked it and it seems about right. Then I get that a_(n+1)/a_n->1. That makes the limit a_(n+1)*x^(n+1)/(a_n*x^n) equal to x. Note: (2(n+1)-1)!/(2n-1)!=(2n+1).

chouse12 said:
Just another quick question...I need to find the interval of convergence for this series. I set up the ratio test and I think I must be doing it wrong because I am getting convergence for all real values of x but in my textbook it says the binomial series only converges from -1 to 1.

Here is my work:
this should be (2n-1)! in the denominator (instead of (2n!)) which will give you an extra remaining factor of n in the numerator and the limit Dick gievs

chouse12 said:
and I simplified that to lim n--> infinity of abs. value(2n+1/4(n+1)2) abs. value of (x)
and that limit goes to 0

lanedance said:
this should be (2n-1)! in the denominator (instead of (2n!)) which will give you an extra remaining factor of n in the numerator and the limit Dick gievs

Nooo. (2(n+1)-1)!/(2n-1)!. The double factorials give you a (2n+1) factor in the numerator. The single factorials give you an n+1 in the denominator and the 2^n gives you a 2 in the denominator. lim (2n+1)/((n+1)*2)=1.

Dick said:
Nooo. (2(n+1)-1)!/(2n-1)!. The double factorials give you a (2n+1) factor in the numerator. The single factorials give you an n+1 in the denominator and the 2^n gives you a 2 in the denominator. lim (2n+1)/((n+1)*2)=1.

Hey Dick, I agree with the double factroial thing which makes life a lot easier, by if you're working with singles

[tex] a_n = \frac{(2n-1)!}{(2^n.n!)^2} [/tex]
(i haven't checked this either but it should be close based on working)

chouse wrote

Here is my work:

i meant it should be

[tex] a_n = \frac{\frac{(2n+1)!}{(2^{n+1}.(n+1)!)^2}} {\frac{(2n-1)!}{(2^n.n!)^2}}[/tex]

which reduces to the required 1 in the limit

chouse12 said:
Ok, I messed around with it a little more and ended up with this:
tiny-tim said:
How about ∑(2n)!/(n!)222n, = 2nCn/22n ? :smile:

chouse12 said:
Tiny-Tim, I believe that is the correct answer but could you explain how you arrived there?

Hi chouse12! :smile:

the general term is (n odds)/(n evens),

so I multiplied top and bottom to get (n odds)(n evens)/(n evens)2

(n odds)(n evens) is just (2n)!,

and (n evens) is n!2n (because eg 2.4.6.8 = 2.1.2.2.2.3.2.4 = 2.2.2.2.1.2.3.4) :wink:

Incidentally, 2nCn/22n is the chance of getting exactly n heads on tossing a coin 2n times :biggrin:

oh … and how are you doing on arcsin(x)?

lanedance said:
i meant it should be

[tex] a_n = \frac{\frac{(2n+1)!}{(2^{n+1}.(n+1)!)^2}} {\frac{(2n-1)!}{(2^n.n!)^2}}[/tex]

which reduces to the required 1 in the limit

Oh. Ok, then.

I see now the mistake I was making with the ratio test...thanks for the help.

I can get the other two parts of the problem pretty easily now. Thanks again for all the help, couldn't have done it without you guys.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite sum of terms where each term is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a variable power. It is a mathematical representation of a function that can be used to approximate the values of the function within a certain interval.

2. How do you find a power series for arcsin(x)?

To find a power series for arcsin(x), we can use the Taylor series expansion for the inverse sine function. This involves taking derivatives of the function and evaluating them at a specific point, typically at x=0. The resulting series will then be the power series for arcsin(x).

3. What is the interval of convergence for the power series of arcsin(x)?

The interval of convergence for the power series of arcsin(x) is -1 ≤ x ≤ 1. This means that the series will only converge for values of x within this interval, and diverge for values outside of it.

4. How accurate is the power series approximation of arcsin(x)?

The accuracy of the power series approximation of arcsin(x) depends on the number of terms used in the series. Generally, the more terms included, the more accurate the approximation will be within the interval of convergence. However, the approximation may become less accurate as you move further away from the center of the interval.

5. Can the power series for arcsin(x) be used to calculate the exact value of arcsin(x)?

No, the power series for arcsin(x) is an approximation of the function and will not give the exact value of arcsin(x). However, it can be used to calculate a close approximation within the interval of convergence.